OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Turkey gun work  (Read 3552 times)

Offline Walkerz07

Turkey gun work
« on: November 23, 2014, 10:12:11 AM »
Hey guys it's been a while since I have posted on here.I recently fell from a deer stand and still getting over the injures of that, ALWAYS WEAR THEM SAFETY HARNESSES!!!! So with some down time on my hands I have been thinking about turkey hunting. My wife told me I need to stick to that because at least you are on the ground all the time. Anyhow I was thinking of sending my turkey gun off to have some work done, I purchased a 870 turkey edition last year and it is the one without the thumb hole stock but with a 21 inch pipe. I killed one turkey with it last season and all I really did to the gun was polish my barrel and put a jelly head on it and shot 3 inch federal heavy weights with it and got good patterns but my poa and poi was a little off but not to bad. I might put a red dot on it if I have to but I was hoping with a little professional work done I could get away without having a red dot and get the full shooting potential of that gun. With all that being said my question is, who do you guys trust and know of to do good but reasonable shotgun work? Thanks for any input!!

Offline WV Ridge Reaper

• Longbeard
Turkey gun work
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2014, 10:27:45 AM »
I trust and highly recommend Rob Roberts..As far as the sights go,get some Tru Glo magum gobble dot pro series sights.

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
Re: Turkey gun work
« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 04:43:05 PM »
Hey guys it's been a while since I have posted on here.I recently fell from a deer stand and still getting over the injures of that, ALWAYS WEAR THEM SAFETY HARNESSES!!!! So with some down time on my hands I have been thinking about turkey hunting. My wife told me I need to stick to that because at least you are on the ground all the time. Anyhow I was thinking of sending my turkey gun off to have some work done, I purchased a 870 turkey edition last year and it is the one without the thumb hole stock but with a 21 inch pipe. I killed one turkey with it last season and all I really did to the gun was polish my barrel and put a jelly head on it and shot 3 inch federal heavy weights with it and got good patterns but my poa and poi was a little off but not to bad. I might put a red dot on it if I have to but I was hoping with a little professional work done I could get away without having a red dot and get the full shooting potential of that gun. With all that being said my question is, who do you guys trust and know of to do good but reasonable shotgun work? Thanks for any input!!

Many times you can correct the POA/POI with a choke or shell change. You can also correct that in an 870, many times by the torque you put on the magazine cap. It's important to be consistent in the torque on that cap and it's very advisable to mark the cap and the barrel band so that you can easily tell that it's the same each time. Once you have your POA/POI where you want it, I advise not removing the barrel until after your season.

Lastly, I noted that you are shooting Federal Flitecontrol was shells through a Jellyhead. Normally, you'll get better results from those shells thorough non-ported chokes. You may want to try some Hevi-13 shells through that choke or try another choke if you really like those shells.

At any rate, I'd try working on that magazine cap first.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Offline Walkerz07

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 06:21:34 PM »

Many times you can correct the POA/POI with a choke or shell change. You can also correct that in an 870, many times by the torque you put on the magazine cap. It's important to be consistent in the torque on that cap and it's very advisable to mark the cap and the barrel band so that you can easily tell that it's the same each time. Once you have your POA/POI where you want it, I advise not removing the barrel until after your season.

Lastly, I noted that you are shooting Federal Flitecontrol was shells through a Jellyhead. Normally, you'll get better results from those shells thorough non-ported chokes. You may want to try some Hevi-13 shells through that choke or try another choke if you really like those shells.

At any rate, I'd try working on that magazine cap first.

Thanks,
Clark

How tight would you recommend? I have heard that about the magazine cap before so I made sure it was good and snug but I would clean the barrel ever time I shot when I was sighting it in so I was constantly loosening and tightening the cap.

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2014, 06:30:05 PM »
MAYBE TOU SHOULD USE A SNAKE ..WHEN U ARE DOING THAT INSTEAD OF BREAKING DOWN .
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline Walkerz07

« Reply #5 on: November 23, 2014, 07:16:24 PM »
i know i need to buy one, i use one for my deer rifle and love it cause you are pushing everything out of the barrel instead of pushing it back into the action.Do you run one through your gun after ever shot?

Offline Walkerz07

« Reply #6 on: November 23, 2014, 07:26:15 PM »
I reviewed Rob Roberts web sight and i was very impressed with the sight. I think i will go with lengthening the forcing cone, pattern analysis and possibly a choke tube that they recommend but i still want to know yall's opinions on who yall trust to do turkey shotgun work.

Offline outdoors

• Limbhanger
  • 2015 forum supporter. “Outta’ the Woods”
« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 08:48:23 PM »
i know i need to buy one, i use one for my deer rifle and love it cause you are pushing everything out of the barrel instead of pushing it back into the action.Do you run one through your gun after ever shot?
YEP I USE ONE AT THE RANGE WITH WHAT I SHOT  THEY DO WORK  :icon_thumright:
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2014, 10:26:47 PM »
I reviewed Rob Roberts web sight and i was very impressed with the sight. I think i will go with lengthening the forcing cone, pattern analysis and possibly a choke tube that they recommend but i still want to know yall's opinions on who yall trust to do turkey shotgun work.
Rob Roberts does excellent work.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."