OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: suggestions for a 1300 winchester  (Read 6893 times)

Offline laturkeyhunter

suggestions for a 1300 winchester
« on: November 21, 2014, 12:14:44 PM »
I just bought a winchester 1300 turkey with the 22inch barrel it. I am wanting to shoot lead out of it.
I'm not interested in trying the long beards because I think the patterns will be to tight in the type of terrain that i hunt in. I'm looking for something that will give me good coverage up close but still kill one at 40 yards. What are your suggestion for choke and shell. Thanks.

Offline d.winsor

Re: suggestions for a 1300 winchester
« Reply #1 on: November 22, 2014, 11:06:52 PM »
I wouldn't be too concerned about trying long beards, just use a little more open choke and you will get what you want.  In my 1300 I use a .665 choke with longbeards, you might try a .670 or larger, it will definitely open up the pattern.

Offline laturkeyhunter

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2014, 01:19:23 PM »
If you dont mind me asking what brand .665 choke are you using and what does your pattern look like at 20, 30, and 40 yards. I might try to pick up a box of the LBs and try them the gun come with an extra full factory choke. Thanks.

Offline d.winsor

« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2014, 08:29:29 PM »
I don't know the brand for sure, when I bought the 1300 years ago I asked a salesman to recommend a choke if the OEM choke didn't work out.  Lucky I got another one because the OEM choke was a flop.  I looked on the choke and the only thing on it was TRU TG172.  I am assuming that is a tru glow choke tube.  With a 3" longbeard it is especially tight, if you want a looser pattern I would definitely go with a more open choke tube.  As far as 20, 30, or 40 yards you will probably need a red dot at the least, as like I said "Especially tight".  Try your current choke with the longbeards, you might already have what you are looking for.  The longbeard can make a mediocre choke look good.  Good Luck.

One thing I forgot is that I use the .665 with #5 shot.
« Last Edit: November 24, 2014, 08:50:00 AM by d.winsor »

Offline laturkeyhunter

« Reply #4 on: November 24, 2014, 11:08:45 PM »
Thanks for the info I'm really wanting to try to stay away from red dots or sights and just use the bead but I am going to try the longboards through the factory extra full and see what happens

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
« Reply #5 on: December 01, 2014, 08:43:21 PM »
you can't go wrong with the Winchester Supreme's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Offline laturkeyhunter

« Reply #6 on: December 02, 2014, 08:22:43 AM »
Thanks for the replies I ordered a kicks .655 last night I have a few different boxes of #6 lead loads that I'm gonna run through it and if I can ever find a box of LB #6 I'm gonna try them

Offline mikejd

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 12:25:24 PM »
Thanks for the replies I ordered a kicks .655 last night I have a few different boxes of #6 lead loads that I'm gonna run through it and if I can ever find a box of LB #6 I'm gonna try them

I have been hunting with that same gun for probably 20yrs. Its my favorite turkey gun of many.
as a matter of fact I have four 1300's including the 1300 short which has an 18" barrel.
I have about 20 different chokes for them and have tested just about every combo imaginable out.
not that I needed to but just for fun. The choke that dwinsor mentioned is my all time favorite choke its a mark bansers truglo and my gun loves it.
IC is probably the choke that can put the highest pellet count but I to only shoot a bead and the IC patterns just a bit to the right so I stay with my Banser.

I also hunt in terrain similar to yours mostly wooded and very tight at times and rarely have a 40hd shot.
for that reason I do not like number 6 shot since I believe that if any brush at all gets hit the 6's are useless.
I prefer 4's but 5 is a happy medium. Winchester HV have worked well for me for many years but now I will say that the longbeards put the hammer on them. If you are planning on staying with lead its cheap enough to give both a try at the range. Anything questions feel free.

Offline laturkeyhunter

« Reply #8 on: December 02, 2014, 04:32:39 PM »
Thanks I was just looking through my box of chokes and found one of the truglo chokes that I didn't realize I had I think I had bought it by mistake and never returned it. I'll give them both a try and use whatever works the best

Offline R AJ

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #9 on: December 02, 2014, 06:00:48 PM »
Win Supreme #6s should pattern well in the 655 choke if you haven't tried that combo.
If brush is too thick to cleanly kill the bird then it gets a pass by me. 5s or 6s your choice.
The LB's may do what you want in a stock full choke.

Offline mikejd

• Double Beard
« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 08:09:32 PM »
Win Supreme #6s should pattern well in the 655 choke if you haven't tried that combo.
If brush is too thick to cleanly kill the bird then it gets a pass by me. 5s or 6s your choice.
The LB's may do what you want in a stock full choke.

Its not the brush you can see. Its the small stuff that you cant see that the 4's make it through.
Never liked 6's in lead.

Offline laturkeyhunter

« Reply #11 on: December 11, 2014, 08:18:56 PM »
What kind of box do the supremes and Winchester HV come in what color is the shells part numbers for each would help if yall happen to have them
this is what is what I have on hand right now

Offline mikejd

• Double Beard
« Reply #12 on: December 11, 2014, 11:22:16 PM »
HV are black shells. But the silver box you have has also served me well through the years.

I would really pattern your gun with the long beards. I think you will be satisfied.

Offline laturkeyhunter

« Reply #13 on: December 11, 2014, 11:43:47 PM »
Ok thanks I also have a box of the LB in #4. Have you had any luck with the double x loads like I have

Offline mikejd

• Double Beard
« Reply #14 on: December 12, 2014, 08:17:45 AM »
Ok thanks I also have a box of the LB in #4. Have you had any luck with the double x loads like I have

[/quote

Yes double x have also been a good round. U should be good to go.
dont expect a pattern like guys are getting with #7 hevi with number 4 lead but your bird will always fall.