OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: How do you carry all that stuff.....  (Read 10117 times)

Offline timberchicken

How do you carry all that stuff.....
« on: November 18, 2014, 01:43:31 AM »
Not new to bow hunting or turkey hunting, but new to bowhunting turkey's. I am going to hunt public ground so I don't want to leave a blind out. How do you carry a blind, decoys, bow, calls, chair, and everything else that goes with a bow hunt. I got everything together and it filled the back of my truck. Wondering if there is a good pack or system to carry everything with out looking like a pack mule.

Offline headshot870

Re: How do you carry all that stuff.....
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2014, 01:35:24 PM »
I bungee it all down on a deer cart & wheel it in. It is definitely "gear intensive".

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
  • "So easy a gun hunter can do it"
« Reply #2 on: November 19, 2014, 07:46:08 PM »
I make packs to carry my stuff.It has taken years for me to refine but I'm very pleased with my 5th generation design. Fully encased bow holder so you don't have to unpack the bow and case it in states where a uncased bow in a truck = ticket and no more dust all over the bow from riding in the back. It holds blind,chair,bow,food,drink,book,heater,cloths,extra quiver with arrows and more.This makes it easy to stay all day. That way I can put my camera bag and decoys bag on and get through the woods hands free. You can't get through the woods with a cart. I also hunt all public ground spring, and fall,and I can get off the beatin' path with this system.
When I turkey hunt I use a DSD decoy

Offline timberchicken

« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 08:21:39 PM »
Fallhnt did you start with a frame pack and modify or completely start from scratch. Any picks would be appreciated.

Offline land cruiser

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2014, 12:21:39 AM »
I take minions.  :)

The truth is, it is quite cumbersome, but I just put it on my back and in my vest. 

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 07:53:33 PM »
Timberchicken, My pack is made so the blind is the frame when packed.This makes it a ground blind pack only.Space and weight are at a premium when you pack in all your gear and hunt from a blind so I designed my pack so the only support it has is for the pack straps. I made a full frame pack but I didn't like the room it took up in the blind. A good reason to have the pack in the blind is you will have your extra gear in it and it stays dry when it rains.I have my latest pack being field tested by some hunters and don't have any pics of the new design but before I handed it over I made my new dvd that features that pack.If you spend any time at all hunting from a ground blind this is the pack.If you want a copy of the dvd to see some turkeys kills and the full details of the pack PM me your address and I will send you a copy.

Offline fallhnt

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: November 20, 2014, 08:00:21 PM »
Cruiser,Minions get tired of packing your stuff and take there buddy to your best public land hunting spots. :z-guntootsmiley:

Offline timberchicken

« Reply #7 on: November 23, 2014, 10:31:39 PM »
Thanks for the info fallhnt. I sent you my info. I was hoping someone had a system. Any moe suggestions?

Offline Bossman

« Reply #8 on: November 28, 2014, 08:35:50 AM »
Here is a system we developed which lightens the load and allows you to "go and bow".  Our Bushwacker Blind, a trifold stool and a bow holder do the trick.  All three items are under 3 lbs. pack easily and are all you need for a quick efficient set up.  We have killed plenty of gobblers with this set up.  This works well with the blind set up you mentioned.  It allows you to get after them if they move away or if something goes wrong at your first blind set up.

Offline timberchicken

« Reply #9 on: November 28, 2014, 02:30:50 PM »
Thanks bossman that looks like a nice, lightweight system for gunning and gunning or quick hunts.  Looks like it could double as a decent predator rig also

Offline Bossman

« Reply #10 on: December 02, 2014, 09:55:57 AM »
This system can be used to hunt anything.  Being lightweight and portable it allows you to move freely and take the hunt to them, set up in seconds and be completely covered. 

Offline nickhrp

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Gobble gobble
How do you carry all that stuff.....
« Reply #11 on: December 26, 2014, 08:42:11 PM »
Bring a friend that's what I do we generally alternate one calls one shoots unless a double presents itself but it's tough having two drawn bows in one blind

God Bless the Outdoors

Offline gobbler777

« Reply #12 on: January 02, 2015, 07:00:47 AM »
For blind hunting which I do sometimes I took a folding hand golf cart and attached a plastic bucket where the bottom of the golf bag would go. I can put my Double Bull blind, chair, gun or bow in it and attach anything else you want to it. Straps hold everything in place. Large wheels allow it to be pulled over branches, trees etc. Its quiet and easy to pull. I evn throw a thermus and some snacks in it.  Will fold down and being camoed doesnt freighten gobblers. Can also haul your gobbler back to the vehicle too.
For Gibson and Mincey crow calls visit CrowMart at www.crowmart.com  Turkey Guide - Maryland

Offline Kevin6Q

« Reply #13 on: January 02, 2015, 09:25:00 AM »
At the beginning I carried a ton of stuff. Backpacks with so much stuff strapped on it looked like the opening of Sanford and Son. Soon  my hunting changed from sitting to stalking and most of the stuff ended up being scattered throughout the woods which needed to be retrieved. Tried a blind but didn't enjoy it so it remains at home.  Decoys are also a PIA so they are now stuffed into a box on the garage shelf. With less stuff, the encounters went up as did the success. Now my gear list is a small 2" thick, foot square piece of foam to sit on (occasionally a small 3-legged folding chair), a few mouth calls,a slate, scratch box, some water and food. My quiver has 3 arrows. My release is worn into the field and the bow has a carry strap. With less stuff hunting has been orders of magnitude more enjoyable.

Offline drenalinld

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #14 on: January 02, 2015, 09:49:58 AM »
I used this set up for a few seasons. Worked great. Blind Hog Beard Buster. Carries double bull, bow, camera, tripod and plenty of other gear comfortably.

http://www.amazon.com/Beard-Buster-Ground-System-Breakup/dp/B003WHHH4A

On a different note, I sold it and blind. Even with a bow and gobbler at 5 yards I did not enjoy it in the blind. This system was nice for packing the gear though!