OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What has been your experience with Winchester Long Beard Shells?  (Read 7604 times)

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
I'm in the middle, maybe, of a study of the new Winchester Long Beard shells. I'd really appreciate your experience, good, bad or indifferent, with them.
Let's get a discussion going.

Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Offline Spring Creek Calls

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • Spring Creek Turkey Calls
Re: What has been your experience with Winchester Long Beard Shells?
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2014, 06:43:26 AM »

I have only fired one of these loads at a target, but my first impression was good. A 3" LB #6 shot from my 1300, 26" barrel, IC .660 put 228 pellets into a 10" circle at 40 yards. My only concern is POI as it was a few inches low and to the right from POA. This could have been operator error as I was shooting free hand. I will bench rest test sometime before spring.

2014  SE Call Makers Short Box 2nd Place
2017  Buckeye Challenge Long Box 5th Place
2018  Mountain State Short Box 2nd Place
2019  Mountain State Short Box 1st Place
2019  NWTF Great Lakes Scratch Box 4th Place
2020 NWTF GNCC Amateur 5th Place Box
2021 Mountain State 3rd Place Short Box
2021 SE Callmakers 1st & 2nd Short Box
E-mail: gobblez@aol.com

Offline alclark2

« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2014, 09:20:08 AM »
 :icon_thumright: I'm not getting performance like that ^^^... BUT... It's the best lead I've shot in my limited experience. I stocked up on thugs a few years ago. Now, I have a stock pile of the 3.5" 6s in LB also. I took one shot and decided to hunt with thugs this spring because I thought it was TOO tight at close range with my IC .675. If I had a factory gun/choke this would be the first load I tried to pattern. LBs IMO give the novice turkey gun shooter a head start in getting a good load/gun to ethically kill turkeys.
Hoosier Hunt n Fish

Offline decoykrvr

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2014, 04:19:00 PM »
I've got a substantial inventory of the EnvironMetal Hevi-13 shells in 3" and 3 1/2" and get the best turkey patterns w/ three different shotguns that I've ever gotten w/ factory ammunition and will be hunting w/ these shells for a long time.  With that said, I've evaluated shotgun shells and reloaded for over 45 years, and the Winchester LongBeards produce the best patterns w/ a lead shotshell which I've ever seen.  You can't really compare the terminal kinetic energy and results of tungsten based loads w/ lead loads due to the number of variables many of which are incalculable. With the market uncertainty, pricing, and availability of tungsten, I wouldn't hesitate to advise anyone to commit fully to the LB loads and evaluate choke/gun combinations which produce the best 40-45 yard turkey hunting patterns. I strenuously object to the "long range" marketing by both Winchester and EnvironMetal and have voiced my concerns to prominant individuals w/ both companies, but it's obvious that they are more concerned w/ profitability than the turkey resource and ethical hunting practices.

Offline cuppednlocked

« Reply #4 on: November 01, 2014, 10:49:16 PM »
I am impressed with the shell/load.

Offline beagler

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: November 02, 2014, 08:31:17 PM »
I shot them (#5's) in both my Mossberg 835 and Benelli SBE 2 (Rhino choke in both). I didn't get the stellar numbers that some others achieved. Not bad but not terrific. I'll still stick with H-T-L loads. I've been shooting Nitro's and Mag Blends with very good results. I prefer the knockdown power of H-T-L at longer distances just in case I underestimate.
Never Misses

Offline TheSportsman

« Reply #6 on: November 03, 2014, 08:48:49 PM »
 My benelli sbe 1 did not like them. I like 5s in lead. I ran them through a kicks 660, a kicks .655 and a rhino .660.  I like the HTL loads. Great experiences with nitros and magblends, both 3" and 3.5".  For lead, I like the turkey thug shells with the kicks .660

Offline Snoodsniper

• Longbeard
« Reply #7 on: November 04, 2014, 05:31:11 AM »
The Browning loves 'em. I couldn't be happier... Dead birds and the price is right.

Offline SKFOOTER

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #8 on: November 04, 2014, 04:52:55 PM »
The Longbeard #4 loads are the best patterning #4 lead loads I have ever shot. :OGturkeyhead:

Offline R AJ

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #9 on: November 04, 2014, 07:11:29 PM »
Clark,
This is a fine shell for the lead shooter whether it be in 3" or 3.5" loads. I feel that some more open chokes,ie. extra full or full choke may be the ticket for the bead sight only hunter.

This does seem to be a possible dream load for the 20 gauges  with the ultimate solution to the 3.5" shell disaster in 20 gauge.

It does have future for sure for turkey and large  animals such as fox and coyote.

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
« Reply #10 on: November 05, 2014, 06:56:36 PM »
I really appreciate all of your replies. I'm launching what is probably my largest study to date on shells and chokes. I've already done some work and the rest will be dependent upon the weather and the ability of my shoulder to stand up under the abuse. Most if not all major choke makers will be represented in the study, so it will take a while.

Again, thanks for your input.

Clark

Offline dms2511

« Reply #11 on: November 06, 2014, 06:15:34 PM »
I have had great luck with them both at the target range and in the field. I'm shooting the 3 1/2" #6's out of both my SBE II and my 870 SPS. I switched from shooting hevi-13 #7's and have not looked back.  At a fraction of the cost and the same performance, I don't think you can go wrong with them. I took 3 birds with them last spring and have no complaints.

Offline 3" 870 Shell Shucker

• Double Beard
  • I want lots of even coverage.
« Reply #12 on: November 09, 2014, 06:23:02 PM »
cuppednlocked, that is a fine pattern you posted.  I would be happy with that at 35 yards, much less 40 yards.  And that's a Lead shell combo.  Nice and even.  Very impressive.

Offline Longshanks

• Longbeard
« Reply #13 on: November 09, 2014, 07:42:33 PM »
Shooting the LB's in 3" out of the 870's.

211 in a 10 @ 40   21" bbl. Kicks .655.   Lb 6's

163 in a 10 @ 40.  28" bbl. Kicks .660.   Lb 5's

Consistent even patterns with the 3" 6's but I've seen some variation in the 3" 5 patterns. Mis-shaped patterns and patterns cut in half. I'm now shooting the 6's only out of both guns with Kicks chokes and getting great results. Going to try the short barreled gun with a Indian Creek .665 and see what it does with the Lb's on the next trip out.
« Last Edit: November 09, 2014, 07:52:40 PM by Longshanks »

Offline allaboutshooting

• In Memorial
  • Long Spur Gobbler
    • allaboutshooting
« Reply #14 on: November 10, 2014, 02:12:35 PM »
I'm up to 30, as I recall, different chokes to evaluate with those shells. Most of the major commercial producers will be represented, so it should yield some useful information.

I've had to cut it off there in order to be able to complete the study in a reasonable timeframe. It's also weather dependent and hopefully I'll have some good days at the range.

I'll only be evaluating #6 shot for this go round and only 3" WLB shells.

Thanks,
Clark