OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: drill and tap wingmaster + adding a scope  (Read 5102 times)

Offline vpsalin

drill and tap wingmaster + adding a scope
« on: October 19, 2014, 02:23:28 PM »
I've been converting my dad's old wingmaster goose gun into a turkey killer for the past few months.

It's got a 20'' deer remchoke barrel now with iron sights a indian creek tube. I also swapped out the wood stock for a mossy oak shurshot set.

I'm thinking that my next step is optics... I already have a bushnell elite 3200 2-7x32 sitting around. Would this make for a good turkey scope? I was thinking that 2 - 2.5 magnification would be ideal for turkey. Would I need to shop for a different optic or am I already all set?

Is it worth it to drill and tap this old receiver? Should accuracey be reasonably consistent?

I put my photoshop skills to good use, it would look something like this.
1966 870_WM / 20'' Deer RS / IC .665 / SHURSHOT / 1.75-5x32 Legend HD / LB_XR_3''_#5

Excalibur Micro335 RT / Nikon Bolt XR / Luminok Quills / CX Torrid SS 85GR w.Adders

Excalibur Grizzly305 MO / Deadzone / Luminok Quills / CX Torrid SS 85GR w.Adders

Offline vaturkey

• Limbhanger
  • Good Things Come To Those Who Wait!
Re: drill and tap wingmaster + adding a scope
« Reply #1 on: October 19, 2014, 03:13:35 PM »

B- Square makes a great scope mount for that gun !  :icon_thumright:
Vaturkey

Offline dms2511

« Reply #2 on: October 19, 2014, 06:20:31 PM »
I would use the B-square saddle mount which will also allows you to use the irons sights as well if needed.  It has a built in tunnel below that works well, which is what I'm using on my 870 supermag.  I like keeping my options open, and would hate to see you loose the ability to shoot off the open sights in an emergency.

Offline vpsalin

« Reply #3 on: October 19, 2014, 08:18:27 PM »
The open sights on the remington 20'' deer barrel are very high. I doubt that a rail will stop me from using them. Are quick detachable rings a viable option on shotguns or is there too much recoil for that? I have a rail on my 10/22 and I can use iron sights just fine with QD rings...

What about my scope, is a 3200 2-7x32 elite a decent turkey scope or should I look for something else?
1966 870_WM / 20'' Deer RS / IC .665 / SHURSHOT / 1.75-5x32 Legend HD / LB_XR_3''_#5

Excalibur Micro335 RT / Nikon Bolt XR / Luminok Quills / CX Torrid SS 85GR w.Adders

Excalibur Grizzly305 MO / Deadzone / Luminok Quills / CX Torrid SS 85GR w.Adders

Offline stinkpickle

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • "Milk was a bad choice!"
« Reply #4 on: October 20, 2014, 01:31:04 PM »
I think that scope would be fine.  I had a 3200 1.5x4 I was going to use, but I ended up going the FFIII route instead.

Offline dms2511

« Reply #5 on: October 20, 2014, 08:34:33 PM »
Just consider the eye relief when looking at different scopes. Typically the higher magnification equals less eye relief.  Today's turkey loads can pack quite a bit of recoil, and  the last thing you need is your eye brow busted open from shooting out of an awkward position at a bird.  I have had good luck with the Nikon turkey pro scopes, but just something to consider.

Offline vpsalin

« Reply #6 on: October 20, 2014, 08:39:17 PM »
eye relief on my scope is 3'', sufficient?

Can I reuse my current rings for my shotgun application? They're UTG QD rings.

Offline stinkpickle

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • "Milk was a bad choice!"
« Reply #7 on: October 21, 2014, 11:41:45 AM »
I don't know.  I had that 1.5x4 on a slug gun.  I shot it a lot, and it tapped me twice and bit me once...so it was borderline.  I was conscious of it at the range, so it never got me there.  I was hunting each time it touched me.  And those slugs (Win Partition Golds) kick every bit as much as any turkey load I've used.

Offline vpsalin

« Reply #8 on: October 21, 2014, 06:54:44 PM »
These Nikon scopes seem great but are discontinued?

How much eye relief is enough, 4.5''? How about the 1.75-5x32 Bushnell LegendHD? It's got 4.5'' and it's currently on sale. Multi-X reticle shouldn't be a big handicap right?

Offline dms2511

« Reply #9 on: October 21, 2014, 07:54:18 PM »
The Nikon Turkey Pro is still available at Natchez.com for $149 for the refurbished model.  I have purchased these from them and have good luck and found them to work without a flaw, so I wouldn't be scared of the refurbished condition.  I also like the Weaver Kaspa turkey scope, and own both.  Nikon advertises 5" of eye relief and Weaver advertises 3.5-4" of eye relief.  I would just be careful with 3" of eye relief on the scope you mentioned.  As indicated in another post, it won't bite you on the bench.  If it is going to get you, it will be when you are hunting and a bird walks into range.  Just my 2 cents, but I'm always cognizant of eye relief on a turkey gun when using a scope.

Offline vpsalin

« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2014, 10:52:49 PM »
OK so I went with UTG M87 saddle mount, UTG QD rings and Bushnell Legend HD 1.75-5x32mm.

I'm running into a problem...My saddle mount protrouds too much and contacts the forearm which doesn't allow me to eject the shells. Should I shave down the forearm or shave down the saddle mount? I'm tempted to shave down the mount since I find the forearm very comfortable as is in hunting situations...

Offline vpsalin

« Reply #11 on: October 26, 2014, 12:01:09 AM »
As promised, here's a pic of my turkey gun before I made modifications to the mount. It now functions fine. I probably could of bought a brand new turkey gun for the price off all these mods but it wouldn't be a 1966 Wingmaster now would it? I can't wait to pattern this in the spring!

Offline deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #12 on: November 10, 2014, 03:32:10 PM »
Shave the mount, not the forearm.