turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

SA-20 and SA-459

Started by Tail Feathers, October 16, 2014, 07:49:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tail Feathers

I liked what I saw on the Mossberg SA-20 Turkey Thug and the Weatherby SA-459.  FL Boss said they appear to be different versions of the same gun and I agree from what I can find to read on them.
I noticed one fact that disturbs me about both guns tho.  They both show a maximum load of 1.25 oz shot as recommended by the manufacturers.  I really want my next gun to be a 20 that shoots the 1.5oz HW 7's.  I'm really not keen on shooting heavier than recommended loads in a new gun.
What experiences do we have with these guns and loads here?
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

decoykrvr

With the cost of the HW #7's, 11/2 oz load, I doubt if you're going to be shooting many of them except at turkeys.  With that said, the Weatherby seems to be very well made and w/ the Weatherby warranty, I wouldn't worry about it.  The Federal HW loads are all within the SAAMI standards for modern firearms.  Anytime that you are shooting higher pressure shotshells you should keep the chamber and barrel as clean as possible, and I would definitely run a Bore-Snake through the barrel 3-4 times between shots and before shooting w/ a clean barrel to remove any residual oil which can elevate chamber pressure.  I've put over a box of the 11/2 oz. loads through the Weatherby PA459 TR w/ no signs of excessive pressures or ejection problems.

FL-Boss

Tail Feathers,

All the Mossberg SA and Weatherby SA guns I believe are made in the same Turkish factory.  Also add select Tristar 12 ga to that list as well. I believe they also have a "sa" line of guns.. but only in the 12ga.

With that said.. I never remember seeing anything about max 1.25oz? on the 20ga   

Either way.. 1.5oz Federal, 3in, HW is all I shot in these guns.  Literally... I have never shot any other load besides the 1.5oz in either the SA-20 or SA -459.   Both guns put up magical numbers with the Federal HW...   

Tail Feathers

Thanks for the input guys.  FL Boss I was particularly hoping to hear from you.  How many round have you put through them total would you guess?

The info on max load can be found on the spec page of Weatherby's website and in the manual on-line for the SA-20.  Both say maximum load is 1 1/4 oz.

decoykrvr, have you read Weatherby's warranty?  It says they don't have a fixed warranty and assure the reader they will stand behind their product.  Not saying they aren't reputable, far from it, but it's the weirdest "warranty" I've read in a while.  It wouldn't stop me from buying their product tho.

I haven't ruled the guns out but I don't want to buy one that gets damaged due to my use of unapproved loads.

FL-Boss

I would say I have shot about 50 rounds through each.  Here's is what I'm thinking... Maybe they just put 1.25oz because that "was" the highest weight factory load available ?    I don't know.. just thinking out loud. I think that Federal HW is the only factory 1.5oz 20ga load on the market?  Again, I have no idea.. but honestly, shooting 1.5oz would be my last concern with these guns..

FL-Boss

20ga with a factory load.... un real..

Tail Feathers

Boss you sure got the pattern I want out of one! :drool:

FL-Boss

I just saw on weatherby's website the new lineup for 2015.  The SA-459 is getting some changes. You can see for yourself... but some I like, some not so much.
What I noticed..
1. the entire gun is now camo
2. Vent rib added to barrel ( personally I don't prefer on turkey gun)
3. Big front blade sight is gone.. also appears the ghost ring is gone from the rear. Just the rail now.

Tail Feathers

I have not seen these changes.  Sounds promising.  Thanks for the heads up.

obro

Fl boss where did you find the info on the 2015 . I can't find it .

obro

Thanks Fl-Boss . I like the looks of the 2015 version .

Hersh

Just ordered a sa 459 turkey 20g today. They had the 2014 version on sale  because they are discontinued. I guess because the 2015s are so different. Got it for 475.00. Can't wait to set it up for my son   

Tail Feathers

Quote from: Hersh on December 06, 2014, 10:40:40 PM
Just ordered a sa 459 turkey 20g today. They had the 2014 version on sale  because they are discontinued. I guess because the 2015s are so different. Got it for 475.00. Can't wait to set it up for my son
That's a good deal.  Please post some pics of the gun and patterns when you get to shoot it. :icon_thumright:

Strick9

Anyone have the SA 12 ga that can mic out the inside bore diameter? Or someone already know it?
LowCountryWildlifeManagement
Knowing Wildlife beyond Science
Genesis 9;2