Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Killing time until April

Started by davisd9, October 12, 2014, 09:32:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

davisd9

Been doing a little dove and deer hunting to kill time until spring. Have not gotten a deer yet but saw a nice buck last week in the beans. Thought he would stand up but never did. Just pulled his head back down in the beans and disappeared. Did not see a thing yesterday.

Been doing a little dove hunting. Last Saturday we had a good group hunt for our small field with me taking 4 myself. Yesterday's hunt was not as good for the overall group but I was fortunate to take 6 dove and my buddy took 5 off some beautiful shots. Yesterday was the last day of our first season and of course it seems we had some more birds move in today. Oh well, hopefully they will stay into our second season and we can throw a few on the grill. Hope everyone is having a successful and safe seasons!

Sent from the Strut Zone
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

trkehunr93

I've done some squirrel hunting, waterfowl, deer and fall turkey hunting.  Didn't kill any squirrels on opening morning but did take this cool pic,

Teaching myself to waterfowl hunt and killed my first mallard drake jump shooting in a creek that runs thru one of the places I hunt,

I've had two shots at deer this fall with my bow and I've missed both, the last shot I got I was able to kill my first tree,

Fall turkey has been a bust for me so far, we have a buttload of acorns this year so they just aren't moving much.  Our blackpowder season opened Nov. 1st, was windy as all get out after 12 hours of rain overnight.  Did have this little guy pose for a pic, he got a pass but he might not be so lucky come early January.

Come on April!!!

WV Ridge Reaper

Been out after squirrels once,turkeys once and deer twice..workin every other Saturday now so no hunting for me...Took all my cameras and stands down last Sunday

Picked up a Ruger american 17 few weeks ago,got my scope on it and lined in.

April can't come soon enough..less then 6 months!! I'll be happy when Feb gets here,this guy is going to the convention

davisd9

Our second dove season comes in on Nov 15 and runs until the 29th so I hope to hit the field a few times.  Waterfowl will be coming in soon as well.  I have not duck hunted in a few years but have a buddy that is into it pretty big so I may go with him a few times and tote the 20 for fun.  Got until January 1 for deer, but already losing interest.  No worries cause got squirrel and rabbit until March 1 starting the 27th. 

Most importantly I have been staying on the calls and ready to hit the spring woods.  Hopefully it will be here before we know it.  Have fun and be safe!
"A turkey hen speaks when she needs to speak, and says what she needs to say, when she needs to say it. So every word a turkey speaks is for a reason." - Rev Zach Farmer

trkehunr93

Finally had some luck yesterday.  Called in a gang and was able to kill this hen.  Got to hear one of the jakes gobble twice.  Thought it was April ;)

Was back out after deer that evening with my muzzleloader and was able to fill a tag.  Thought it was a doe when I shot it, was surprised by the skinny spikes.  He'll eat just as good.  Nice to get some redemption yesterday.  Jamison stayed with me the whole time I was skinning it, think we are going to take a pretend hunting trip here soon.  He always wants to go hunt with daddy!

davisd9

Congratulations and good hunting!  That deer will be good and tender.  I know you did not mean to take the young buck but stuff happens and I am sure the hunt was just as fun.  Little man looks like he will be ready to hit the woods soon.  Cannot wait for mine to tag along.

Does that turkey count against last Spring's limit or this coming Spring's limit?

trkehunr93

Counts against the tags for spring.  We get 3, you can use two in the fall or all 3 in the spring.  Yeah I was a little bummed when I walked up on him but he will eat just fine.  Jamison stayed outside in the cold with me the whole time while I was skinning him.  Apple didn't fall far from the tree.

davisd9

Got to brag on my deer hunting buddy Joe.  He killed a good buck yesterday morning.  Joe has killed a good many deer before but just has never had a really good deer step out to where he had a shot.  Well that changed yesterday in Southern York Co. Said he stunk to high heaven. Really happy for him as this is the best buck he has ever killed, it had to be my unicorn as well a nice 10 pt.  He usually totes an A-Bolt 06 but glad he toted his 35 Rem as it was a gift from his parents many years ago. Just made it a little more special for him.  Buck was killed about 5 minutes from my house and less that a mile as the crow flies.  He killed it on a friend's property.  We are usually in a club together but I did not do a full membership for deer with Leland being born, getting back in fully next year most likely.  I have really missed our morning and evening rides hunting and back!

ed yesterday. 

trkehunr93

Congrats to your friend, I am sure he was tickled pink. 

trkehunr93

Nov. 8th was a good morning in the deer woods.  This dude cruised by 4 times before he finally presented a shot.  He was searching hard for a doe he smelled, knew he was a good buck but didn't realize how good until I walked up on him.  He's been caped and is waiting to take a ride to the taxidermist. 

davisd9

Wow, nice one! Love the tine length! Congratulations!

Sent from the Strut Zone

dirt road ninja