OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Cousins first turkey  (Read 4013 times)

Offline Brs2427

Cousins first turkey
« on: October 08, 2014, 10:53:35 PM »
During Virginias youth spring turkey day, I got the chance to take my fifteen year old cousin will on his first turkey hunt. I had scouted during the week and had a pretty good idea where a bird was roosted on the property I hunt at. We got in the woods in the pitch black dark and set up  in  some tall pines, I placed will about ten yards in front of me towards where the turkey should be roosted. When daylight came the bird gobbled in the tree i yelped once or twice and it flew down in our direction. As it was on the ground i heard what sounded like two birds gobbling and sure enough within ten minutes we had two gobblers with about ten inch beards strutting and gobbling within twenty five yards of us. The birds kept strutting and eventually started to get spooked and i yelled at will shoot em will shoot em. When he shot both birds flew off into the woods. I thought for sure he had missed. I walked up to will and said wasnt that cool we will get them next time. He said i shot at one that way, i am not sure if i got it. we walked to the right about twenty yards of where the two toms had been and sure enough he had shot a nice gobbler. I hadnt even seen it from where i was sitting nor did i hear it gobble. It was a really neat surprise and just an awesome hunt.  He shot the bird with my rem 870 and hevi shot mag blend

Offline mgm1955

• Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Cousins first turkey
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2014, 10:35:21 PM »
Great story and great bird!! Congrats to both of you!!!! I'm sure you have a new addict on your hands and a lifelong hunting partner. Way to go!!!

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: October 14, 2014, 09:56:21 PM »
Awesome. Congrats to you both......

Offline Deerbnb

Cousins first turkey
« Reply #3 on: January 04, 2015, 01:51:50 AM »
Very nice!

Offline 870supermagnum

« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2015, 02:58:12 PM »