OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Out of state hunt  (Read 5516 times)

Offline Racer1

Out of state hunt
« on: September 21, 2014, 10:32:52 PM »
I am headed to Wyoming for my Merriam leg of the slam this coming spring.  My question is how to handle the mount.  The outfitter is also a taxidermist and said he would cape it out and I could fly home with it or I could get it mounted there and ship it.  Thoughts?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Offline TRKYHTR

• Long Spur Gobbler
    • Mother Lode Turkey Calls
Re: Out of state hunt
« Reply #1 on: September 24, 2014, 10:26:00 AM »
I wouldn't just let any taxidermist do your work. I would have to look at alot of his work first before I made my decision. If a taxidermist doesn't specialize in turkeys it's probably not going to look very good. You would be better off freezing the whole turkey and shipping it off to a taxidermist that is good and one your comfortable with doing your turkey. Most taxidermist would rather they skin the turkey out rather than have someone else do it. Not all taxidermists skin turkeys the same way, plus they would have the turkey to fit the right size body. JMO

Joe
RIP Marvin Robbins

[img]http://i261.photobuck

Offline mgm1955

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2014, 01:12:36 PM »
I wouldn't just let any taxidermist do your work. I would have to look at alot of his work first before I made my decision. If a taxidermist doesn't specialize in turkeys it's probably not going to look very good. You would be better off freezing the whole turkey and shipping it off to a taxidermist that is good and one your comfortable with doing your turkey. Most taxidermist would rather they skin the turkey out rather than have someone else do it. Not all taxidermists skin turkeys the same way, plus they would have the turkey to fit the right size body. JMO

Joe

Agree 100%

Offline WW

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: December 30, 2014, 04:45:43 PM »
I'll also be in Wyoming this spring. You hunting private or public?

Offline trkehunr93

• Double Beard
  • BOOM!! FLOP!!
« Reply #4 on: January 16, 2015, 01:31:34 PM »
I had the outfitter cape my Rio in TX a few years ago, he has outfitted for along time and had a great reputation so I felt comfortable with him doing it.  He left the legs inside the skin so the taxidermist could get the leg length right.  It was interesting to watch him do it, he made a cut around the anus and slowly peeled back the skin from there, only seperating the leg and wing joints from the carcass, he breasted out the carcass, put the cape in a hefty garbage bag and the breast meat in a freezer safe ziplock.  Froze both for me and I put them in my suitcase, we flew home and they never thawed.  The mount came out great.  If your driving back I would just leave the bird whole on ice in a cooler and get him to your taxidermist ASAP or put it in a chest freezer until you can.  I highly recommend finding a local taxidermist with lots of experience mounting turkeys, look at his work and talk with clients.  Good luck.

Offline Jim K

« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2015, 09:43:09 PM »
I'm a taxidermist and I specialize in turkeys. I like to skin my turkeys from heel to heel not up the breast. That being said it's not a big deal if your outfitter does skin it that way and your taxidermist does it different. I've frozen them out west and put them in my luggage and flown home with them. If it thaws a little it will be alright just get it in the freezer soon as you get home.
In regards to a taxidermist, I STRONGLY recommend you check out different taxidermists. A lot don't or can't do them well. In my opinion you need one who is a turkey nut. They are the ones who will put the time into proper grooming. Good luck this spring I love hunting Merriams. They are so fun.

Offline Racer1

Out of state hunt
« Reply #6 on: March 30, 2015, 12:45:28 AM »
Thanks guys!  We are using Wyoming's Finest Outfitter in Sheridan.  My buddy has been with them before and loved it.  Looks like we are driving now though so I will have to keep the bird on ice.  21 hour drive so we will be stopping somewhere on the way back.  Not ideal but will try to keep the cape as cold as possible.  Can't wait to go!  Leaving Saturday!!

Offline drake799

« Reply #7 on: March 30, 2015, 10:37:25 PM »
I wouldn't be worried about that. Few yrs back me and my brother went on a 3 state hunt Wy sd and ks were gone for 10 days. We killed 2 birds in Wyoming the first morning there.  We bagged them and put them in a very large cooler filled with ice. They stayed in that cooler for rest of the trip. My brother mounted both of them with zero problems.  Even won a category at the nwtf convention this yr with 1 of them lol. Carry some paper towels  a small plastic sandwich Ziplock bag and a large trash bag with you.  When you get your bird. Stuff some paper towel down its throat or mouth and put the sandwich bag over its head. Might carry a rubber band or 2 also and tightly secure it around its head   Gently wipe off any blood that get on the feathers. And place it in a big plastic bag   Be as careful with the bird as you can   I know that sounds real particular but that the key with having a good mount.  Out the bird in the cooler and fill with ice.  When it starts to melt. Drain the water if you can and put more ice in. Them when you get home place it in freezer and freeze solid  you should be good

Offline Racer1

Out of state hunt
« Reply #8 on: March 30, 2015, 11:43:31 PM »
Thanks Drake!  I have thought about the ziplock bag but not the paper towel in the throat.  Good to know about the bird not thawing.  I would much rather take a whole bird to the taxidermist.  Now just have to do the killin!