News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Fall Hunting...Kee Kee

Started by donjuan, September 16, 2014, 12:31:54 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

donjuan

Hello all,
It doesn't appear fall hunting is very popular here, but I was hoping to get some advice on how to Kee Kee on a mouth call.  I searched and can't really find anything.  I can honestly get closer by whistling.  Do any of you just whistle?
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room

jblackburn

try moving your lips, similar to a yelp, to get the two-note-ish sound of a kee kee.  It doesn't have to be perfect, if yo break up a flock (especially young birds) they will come to most any kee kee sounding call.  Youtube has several guys calling and also has real turkeys calling as well.

I assume you are using a call that makes kee keeing easier?  I like a ghost cut, but it can be done on a combo cut.  I learned on a two reed call, like a raspy old hen.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

GobbleNut

I think you can make a "serviceable" kee-kee by just whistling, but using a call gives you the ability to add more realism by throwing in yelps to make the kee-kee run.  If you are looking for the simplest mouth call to make kee-kee's on, just use a two or three reed call without any cuts in the reeds.

West Augusta

Get a hold of Ralph Permar and get one of his Kee Kee whistles.  They work great.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

WildTigerTrout

My favorite mouth call for the kee-kee run is the Primos "Limbhanger". It has two thin reeds with no cuts.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

trkehunr93

Quote from: WildTigerTrout on September 18, 2014, 07:43:47 PM
My favorite mouth call for the kee-kee run is the Primos "Limbhanger". It has two thin reeds with no cuts.

:agreed:, it makes a great kee kee and kee kee run.  Just say "peep peep" as you force air over the reeds and your in business.  Keep repeating this and emphasize the second and third "peep" to give it the realism of a lost fall bird.  ONce you have that down just switch to a yelp after the first or second "peep" and you have the kee kee run of a jake.  Gooserbat has a double reed called the public land special that I got from him and it makes a great kee kee as well.  Kee keeing on a diaphragm is really easy, just a few times trying and I think you'll have it down.

Halfski

I try to use a double reed mouth call, as they are easy to blow.  If it sounds too low pitched and raspy, I turn the call upside down.  That usually will give it a higher pitch.  I say "kwee kwee kwee."

You can also use a slate call and pull the striker in a direct line near the outside edges of the call. 

boatpaddle

I recommend buying a quality tape or dvd with all the fall calls on it.....

http://www.turkeyhuntingsecrets.com/store/store-tapes-real-turkey-audio.htm

Tape # 2 is the fall calling.....

Listen to the tone, pitch, and the cadence of the kee-kee, then the kee kee run, numerous times.

Then run a two reed call of your choice to try to sound like the first kee note...Once you get your note to sound like the turkeys, you can start adding more kees & a couple yelps...

Start calling softly to gain control of the air flow needed to kee in a subdued tone. This will do a couple things for you...

1. Teaches you how little air is needed to to run your call.

2. Helps you know how to call soft, when the hunting situation requires soft calling...

3. Helps you gain control of the call & boost your confidence in your calling... :icon_thumright:

Keep practicing till you can do the staircase three note kees and kee-kee runs without hesitation.....The pleading sound conveyed by the turkeys is what your calling should have for realism....

Good luck....

Recognize
Adapt
Overcome

donjuan

Thank you all for your help.  I really appreciate how most people on this board want to help.  :you_rock:
Whoever said you can't kill em from the couch never was good enough to call a gobbler into the living room