Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Thugs vs win supreme hv in sbe? Who will win?

Started by TheSportsman, September 10, 2014, 07:23:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

TheSportsman

I've decided to go back to lead. My avg shot is 25-30yds in the pine/cutover country I hunt. I've got a benelli sbe 1 with a 26" pipe. My three loads to try will be federal turkey thug 3.5 #5s 2oz vs win supreme hv 3.5 #5s 2oz vs win double xx 3.5" 2 1/4oz 5s.  The chokes I've got:
Rhino .660
Kicks gt .660
Kicks gt .665
Benelli xxf turkey .670
Rob roberts .660

I think I've got a good selection to pick from? I've done a deep clean. What combo you think will come out on top???

WV Ridge Reaper

vaturkey

Win Supreme HV 3 1/2 # 5's 2 oz load. With Indian Creek .665. I've got many many boxes of these shells that I wont be needing. Are you interested in any. If so PM me . Thanks  Ricky
Vaturkey

WildTigerTrout

My vote goes to the Win. HV 2oz.#5 with the Kick's GT .660. I shoot the same load in my SBE but use #6 shot with a GT .655. It's a REAL deadly combo. I have killed quite a few with it including the limbhanger from last spring that's featured in my avatar.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!

Triple B

You have some good combos to choose from there.I like Rob Roberts choke tubes myself.Another lead load you may look at is from Sporting Ammo out of Palms MI.I have done business with them for several years with custom loads.They make a 10 box Turkey Terminator round that is really good.Their 2 3/4 inch round pushes 1.5 ounces of shot at 1500 ,the 3"  1 5/8 oz at 1450 fps and 3.5 is 1 7/8 oz of shot at 1300  if memory serves me right.I shoot a Benelli M1 Super 90 with a Rob Roberts turkey choke.

The last 2 gobblers I have killed,were with my Excalibur crossbow,but the several previous have been with the 2 3/4 inch #5 from them. I have 3'' also,but other than the pattern board,I never even needed the 3'' shell.It might be worth your time to try a box or 2 from them,and see how your gun likes them.Just another option you may want to look at, they may or may not work for you.

TheSportsman

Seems the win hv 3.5" #5s with the kicks .660 won! It shot 102 in 10" circle at a lasered 40yds. For lead, would you consider this good?  I'm thinking of picking up a patternmaster code black to try. Seems they are good chokes

wirtbowhunter

Quote from: TheSportsman on September 20, 2014, 03:38:44 PM
Seems the win hv 3.5" #5s with the kicks .660 won! It shot 102 in 10" circle at a lasered 40yds. For lead, would you consider this good?  I'm thinking of picking up a patternmaster code black to try. Seems they are good chokes

102 in 10" seems a little low for a 3.5" load. I have several 3" guns that put 150+ every time with 5's. You might try some more combos or buy a box of Longbeards.

Twowithone

You,ll like the GT. 665 with  those Winchesters. :OGturkeyhead:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

TheSportsman

Sending my rob roberts choke back in exchange for a .655....

Longshanks

102 with 5's is a killer in the turkey woods. I had a real difficult time over the years getting to 100 in 10 @ 40 with 5's until the longbeards came along. Shooting 160's in a 10 @ 40 with 3" 5's. (LB's)

3" 870 Shell Shucker

100+ is not really low with #5's.  Most people can get bigger numbers wth #6's in the right combo, but #6's and #5's are like apples and oranges.  They are similar, but different.  Before the Longbeards came out, 120-130 with #5's was considered a really good pattern.  #5's have more energy per pellet.

albrubacker

Quote from: TheSportsman on September 20, 2014, 03:38:44 PM
That is a decent hunting pattern!
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

surehuntsalot

100-120 with 5's is a great hunting pattern
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

blueridgegobbler

Give the thugs a try I always had good patterns with them they will shoot better than 102 I will guarantee that I get that with 3 inch thugs easy

rockyfackler

Turkey thug are great shell. Shot great and $10 a box