OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Puss Caterpillar Bite-Holy Lord

Started by gatrapper, August 31, 2014, 08:27:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gatrapper

Got nailed by a freaking caterpillar tonight while hanging a treestand with the girlfriend.

I look up and finally ID the caterpillar as a Puss Caterpillar; the most poisonous caterpillar in the United States.

Anyone have some first hand info on how to make this thing stop hurting like sin?

Trapper
"Champions don't make excuses, they make plays." - Richard Seymour.

hookedspur

Found this I hope it helps some

The venom is not well-characterized but it has been shown to possess hemolytic activity, and there is evidence that it is proteinaceous based primarily on its precipitation by 75% saturated ammonium sulfate and the fact that it is inactivated by digestion with proteolytic enzymes (trypsin, pepsin, or chymotrypsin) (Picarelli and Valle 1971).

Eagleman (2008) has reviewed common treatments for puss caterpillar stings. Remedies that may be helpful in some cases include removing broken spine tips from the skin with tape, applying ice packs, use of oral antihistamine, application of hydrocortisone cream to the site of the sting, systemic corticosteroids, and intravenous calcium gluconate.
CRUSADERS
2016-2017-2018-2019-2020- 2021
Six time Old Gobbler Contest Champions

M Sharpe

Go to the doctor.....now! Had a caterpillar to sting me on the forearm several years back. Two shots of benadryl and prednisone and it still felt like someone was trying to tear my arm off at the shoulder!! Finally went to a different hospital where they knocked me out and gave me a prescription for pain-killers for the next day.
I still wear that scar today. You can see every spine!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

gatrapper

The burning is either slowly stopping or my cramping is so severe that I don't notice the burn as much. Left forearm, biceps, arm pit, and chest muscle are aching and cramping bad. If it's this bad in the morning I may go to the doctor.

tomstopper

Quote from: gatrapper on August 31, 2014, 10:22:51 PM
The burning is either slowly stopping or my cramping is so severe that I don't notice the burn as much. Left forearm, biceps, arm pit, and chest muscle are aching and cramping bad. If it's this bad in the morning I may go to the doctor.
Call me a wimp but I would be going to the docs now (this comes from a guy who is deathly allergic to bees and who has had severe allergic reactions to being bitten by a black widow and red ants). If you have ever had an allergic reaction to anything insect related, you might want to go get checked out. Morning is a long time away to be suffering in such pain. Whatever you decide, I hope you're feeling better soon.

M Sharpe

Yep!! Could be too late when the throat closes up and you can't breath!!
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

gatrapper

A lot of the burning has gone, but I still have a lot of cramping in the arm.  Took 800mg ibuprofen, if that doesn't help I'm going to the doctors.

Deputy 14

I think I read this post on trap talk on Facebook.
How ya healing up?

gatrapper

After 72 hours the pain subsided. The first 24 hours were pretty painful. Glad I am good now. :jesus-cross:

tomstopper