OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: where to start-burris/eotech etc  (Read 6502 times)

Offline Turkey Terror

where to start-burris/eotech etc
« on: August 28, 2014, 05:28:05 PM »
Hello all, before I enlisted I had killed several birds with my 11-87 which had just a middle & front bead.

In order to increase performance and boost my confidence I’m looking into getting a used 835 with probably a 24" barrel or so. As far as the choke I have no idea yet.

I have done some reading on here and I like the idea of a holographic/ red dot site. Whatever I end up with, I don’t want to deal with tunnel vision, and I’d like to shoot with both eyes open. I’d prefer no magnification. I know with some optics the “red dot” moves around so that your POI will still be on regardless if your face is positioned in the same exact spot on the comb of the stock.

I’m looking for advice as far as the options that would fit my criteria! Including pros/cons of each. Would a particular optic sit higher on the receiver than others? Or does that depend on the mount I use? Any advice/ opinons at all are appreciated.

Thanks,
Colton

« Last Edit: August 29, 2014, 12:08:33 AM by Turkey Terror »

Offline alloutdoors

• Longbeard
not sure where to start-
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2014, 06:16:27 PM »
Can't go wrong with a FastFire3 from Burris. The 336 base is the lowest way to mount it other than a speed bead setup, you can have your gun drilled and tapped to match the base or vice versa.

Offline Turkey Terror

Re: not sure where to start-
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2014, 11:09:10 PM »
Alloutdoors- thank you for your reply.
I apologize for my little amount of education on optics such as the FF3. Is it set up so that the red dot moves around on the glass plane so that where ever your head is positioned, the POI will coincide with the POA? Compared to a red dot tube/scope, where the dot is in the center at all times? If I am wrong please correct me!

Can't go wrong with a FastFire3 from Burris. The 336 base is the lowest way to mount it other than a speed bead setup, you can have your gun drilled and tapped to match the base or vice versa.

I do appreciate any one elses advice in advance. Any other reccomendations other than the FF3?

How is the durability on the FF3? Does Burris stand behind their product? What are the major differences between the FF3 and other reflex sights like the Truglos, Eotech etc.

-Colton

Offline alloutdoors

• Longbeard
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2014, 11:44:15 PM »
I apologize for my little amount of education on optics such as the FF3. Is it set up so that the red dot moves around on the glass plane so that where ever your head is positioned, the POI will coincide with the POA? Compared to a red dot tube/scope, where the dot is in the center at all times? If I am wrong please correct me!

While not exactly technically correct, yes you have the right idea. The FF3 is, for all practical purposes, parallax free. As long as you can see the dot, that's where your shot is going, even when viewed from an angle where the dot appears to be at the edge of the glass.

How is the durability on the FF3? Does Burris stand behind their product? What are the major differences between the FF3 and other reflex sights like the Truglos, Eotech etc.

The FF sights have a very good reputation for durability, and Burris offers a no questions asked lifetime guarantee on them.

Offline Turkey Terror

« Reply #4 on: August 28, 2014, 11:55:17 PM »
Thank you for clearing that up for me.

While not exactly technically correct, yes you have the right idea. The FF3 is, for all practical purposes, parallax free. As long as you can see the dot, that's where your shot is going, even when viewed from an angle where the dot appears to be at the edge of the glass.

The FF sights have a very good reputation for durability, and Burris offers a no questions asked lifetime guarantee on them.

Again, any other input is appreciated from other users. Thanks

Colton

Offline d.winsor

Re: where to start-burris/eotech etc
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2014, 12:18:08 PM »
I agree 100% with alloutdoors, the only things I could add is that the FF3 is parallax free to 150 yards and it has a low battery indicator that will not let you run out of juice unexpectedly.  The battery is rated for 10,000 hours.  You can shoot with both eyes open if you want.  Waterproof and shockproof.  In my opinion you get many high dollar options for the money  it takes to purchase a FF3.  Yes I like the FF3.

Offline Turkey Terror

« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2014, 05:26:15 PM »
Thank you! Good information, I appreciate it.

I agree 100% with alloutdoors, the only things I could add is that the FF3 is parallax free to 150 yards and it has a low battery indicator that will not let you run out of juice unexpectedly.  The battery is rated for 10,000 hours.  You can shoot with both eyes open if you want.  Waterproof and shockproof.  In my opinion you get many high dollar options for the money  it takes to purchase a FF3.  Yes I like the FF3.

Interested in what everyone else has to say as well. Thanks

CrustyRusty

« Reply #7 on: September 02, 2014, 05:45:18 PM »
I've had about every type of optic known to man on my turkey shotgun, but I have a burris ff on my gun now.  It's light, sits low on the right mount, durable and pretty clear and reasonably priced.  It does have a lifetime warranty now too.  It's not an aimpoint ,acog or eotech qualitywise, but it's about perfect for my turkey gun uses and for the price a great deal.  I'm no fanboy of any company, especially Burris, but the ff is the only optic I want on my turkey gun.(right now-lol)

Offline Turkey Terror

« Reply #8 on: September 05, 2014, 09:16:23 AM »
I've had about every type of optic known to man on my turkey shotgun, but I have a burris ff on my gun now.  It's light, sits low on the right mount, durable and pretty clear and reasonably priced.  It does have a lifetime warranty now too.  It's not an aimpoint ,acog or eotech qualitywise, but it's about perfect for my turkey gun uses and for the price a great deal.  I'm no fanboy of any company, especially Burris, but the ff is the only optic I want on my turkey gun.(right now-lol)

Thanks.

Offline chatterbox

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #9 on: September 05, 2014, 03:57:52 PM »
Another vote for the Burris FF series. I have an FFIII, and my son has an FFII.
Our guns topped with FF series sights and Burris 336 bases have accounted for 5 birds in 2 years between mine and my son's guns.
Absolutely the best turkey optic out there, hands down.

Offline Turkey Terror

where to start-burris/eotech etc
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2014, 07:11:56 PM »
Does anyone know if I were to buy an FF3 today, does it come with a protective hood or sunshade or anything to protect the lens? If not, is there one available in the aftermarket?

CrustyRusty

« Reply #11 on: September 16, 2014, 12:06:37 PM »
Yes it comes with a plastic hood. It's ugly but works..

Offline BOFF

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2014, 10:43:42 PM »
I have both Burris and EOTech.

You cannot go wrong with either one.

The EOTech is bigger, but I really like the circle being around the dot for your sight. My turkey gun has the EOTech on it. My daughter uses the FF II.

God Bless,
David B.

Offline beagler

• Double Beard
« Reply #13 on: October 02, 2014, 08:55:49 PM »
Aimpoint 900SC or Burris FFIII  :icon_thumright:
Never Misses

Offline Turkey Terror

« Reply #14 on: October 16, 2014, 06:56:54 PM »
Aimpoint 900SC or Burris FFIII  :icon_thumright:

Beagler- Sorry I've been very busy lately. Pros/Cons of each? Any weaknesses of either that you have experienced in certain situations?

If Im not mistaken the Aimpoint has a non transferrable warranty of 5 years or something like that, maybe 10.

Thanks
 Colton