OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Woods Banned from Import

Started by larry9988, August 24, 2014, 04:10:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

larry9988

I was reading the post about the possibility that Tulipwood may possibly be banned from import into the U.S. What woods that are used in call making, have already been banned, and what are others that are targeted for banning. I would like to know so that I might possibly try to get some before the ban is enacted. I was really wondering if Cocobollo, African Blackwood, purpleheart and Padauk are on any of the potential banned list as I use these pretty often.

ol bob

They won't have to ban tulip wood I just bought 2  1 1/2 x 11/2 x 18 inch pieces paid $90. if you can't afford it no need to ban it.

larry9988

You are right. With most exotic trumpet size blanks costing from $7-$15, each it's easy to see why most trumpets are from $100-$150 each. Not to mention the time and mouth piece.

drenalinld

Cocobola is banned, I believe.

larry9988

I hate to hear that as that is one of my favorite trumpet woods as it also is for many makers.

turkeykiller22

What is the reasoning for banning them?
Grounded Brand - https://groundedbrand.com/

West Augusta

I've purchased Cocobolo, Tulipwood, Padauk and African Blackwood within the last 6 months from reputable wood vendors.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

ol bob

The problem a lot of stuff that you buy now when whats on the shelf is gone they can't get any more and some of it you better buy now because some supplier haven't found out how much its gone up.

West Augusta

Same thing with Dymondwood.  It may be years before they get the factory rebuilt.  I got a box of it this evening.
No trees were hurt in the sending of this message, however a large number of electrons were highly inconvenienced.

pappy

"Recently, furniture companies have been realizing the great appeal of this wood for high end furniture.   This has driven up demand, and at the same time the Bolivian government is allowing much less of the wood to leave the country in log form where it can be cut into turning stock.   These two factors are driving up prices. " A quote from one of the internet's biggest exotic wood sellers.
With all the crap going on about the importing of exotics, I would not be surprised to see the "old" native woods come back into the picture. think about the thousands of calls that were made and turkeys called in to the shot gun with cedar and walnut as the primary woods used. I love to use the exotics, but if things continue to down spiral in this way in order to drive up the price of wood, then I am headed back to the "old" ways. 
my new email is paw.paw.jack@sbcglobal.net
tel...573-380-8206

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

mgm1955

M Sharpe

funny how these third world countries ban products when they can really use the money.....ivory, what nut burns a 20 foot high pile of it, that was confiscated from illegal hunters, when their country is going down the drain?????
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

strutnrut

I have been a part of importing some exotic woods and I can tell you this it is a pain in the arsh.  Sending money to a 3rd world country and expecting them to do what they promise can get real expensive that is for sure. I have some cocobolo burl blanks that I'll hold for a bit to see how the stick floats with cocobolo. Premium Holly ain't no joke either. I need some box blanks if anyone know a good source.