OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Anyone else out there turkey hunt off riding mules or horse back?  (Read 4126 times)

Offline SpitNDrumN

I already posted this on general discussion but didn't have any luck and thought maybe it be better on this thread.

Anyone else use mules or horses to cover ground to hunt gobblers? We're located in Va. it isn't just a way to hunt in the west. on average depending on how many birds we hunt or if we get to hunt or set up on any we can travel 5-15 miles before lunch of national forest land. Keep riding cutting ridges and riding mountain and ridge tops until you find a hot bird ready to be worked. When you find one ride within several hundred yards of the bird then get off tie them up and then close the remaining couple hundred yards on foot. If you kill him great but if you don't guess what you don't have to walk back to the truck with your tail tucked between your legs. just get on and ride back.

We also use them for deer hunting to get way back in on national forest land where no one else walks to. That's where the old big'ens live.

Here is a bird I called into my dad pictured with the bird roughly a 2 hour walk on foot. We made it there in under 30 minutes on the mules.

Jasper one of our Mules. We prefer Mules over horses in the mountains because they are more sure footed, strong, confident, and can go all day.

Offline SCGobbler

• Ya can't fix stupid!
Re: Anyone else out there turkey hunt off riding mules or horse back?
« Reply #1 on: July 09, 2014, 01:53:10 PM »
That is a really neat way to hunt!  I wonder if my wife will let me buy a Mule???  I Bet the homeowners assoc. would have a problem with it though.  Hate I ever moved to the city!
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

Offline wscrst

« Reply #2 on: July 12, 2014, 06:21:01 PM »
I love the ingenuity of turkey hunters:  bikes, canoes, dogs...and now I see horses and mules.  I'd say that I would see you around the national forest but I'll only be a mile or two in!

Offline The Cohutta Strutter

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: November 19, 2014, 02:43:55 PM »
That's awesome! I've thought on several occasions how nice it would be to have a mule to ride and/or just use to pack in gear for an extended stay in the woods. Never done it but Im sure it would be a great way. Strutter.
Anybody seen America lately?

Offline mgm1955

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: November 19, 2014, 09:41:46 PM »
Great idea!!!! :icon_thumright:

Offline land cruiser

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #5 on: November 20, 2014, 12:19:05 AM »
Hmm, sheep hunts - yes. Elk and Ibex hunts - you bet.  Turkeys? Not so much. 

Offline catdaddy

• Double Beard
« Reply #6 on: December 01, 2014, 04:10:19 PM »
I have thought if this myself--would love to be able to do it!  Great pics!!

Idratherb

« Reply #7 on: December 02, 2014, 07:03:35 AM »
thats cool, Im with SC gobbler my wife would sh/t if I came home with a mule plus my 3/4 acre lot wouldnt work

Offline Rodd Gunn

« Reply #8 on: December 25, 2014, 03:45:52 PM »
Now that is the way to hunt. Double your pleasure. I wish I could hunt that way. I have used a bicycle in the past. Love it.

Offline TauntoHawk

• Paintbrush Beard
Anyone else out there turkey hunt off riding mules or horse back?
« Reply #9 on: January 10, 2015, 08:28:26 AM »
That's a really cool way to hunt!
<blockquote class="imgur-embed-pub" lang="en" data-id="l4hWuQU"><a href="//imgur.com/l4hWuQU"></a></blockquote><script async src="//s.imgur.com/min/embed.js" charset="utf-8"></script>

Offline M,Yingling

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
  • In The Hills, PA
« Reply #10 on: January 10, 2015, 06:56:04 PM »
That would be cool way get into places ,,,,That's great pic with the bird and mules in back round
Not taking orders for calls at this time ,,,but my have some on hand  ,,,I Dont sell strikers
I do like copper pot calls,,,,Get them While u can
My YouTube
 https://www.youtube.com/user/CallerTurkey

Offline QuackSmack87

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2015, 03:45:22 AM »
Man me and my buddy have been talking about doing this for years!  I just copied the link and sent it to him!  Let me ask you this, has it ever spooked the birds?  Like you struck one up that was within 100yrds and didn't have enough room to tie up the mules and move forward and you had to leave them close by?  Just wondering.