OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Using Rhino Chokes Before Winchester LongBeard  (Read 3542 times)

Offline 3" 870 Shell Shucker

• Double Beard
  • I want lots of even coverage.
Using Rhino Chokes Before Winchester LongBeard
« on: June 25, 2014, 10:32:52 PM »
What kind of results were people getting with Rhino chokes and Lead loads before Longbeard?

Offline d.winsor

Re: Using Rhino Chokes Before Winchester LongBeard
« Reply #1 on: June 26, 2014, 05:19:14 AM »
About 1992 I bought a Rhino Choke .660 and tried it on my 870 spst, used with Winchester Supreme HD #5 shot.  The pattern was good, and even but not as tight as I wanted at 40 yards.  I bought a Briley straight rifled choke .665 that filled the bill.  I now use Briley chokes in all my turkey guns and they have always produced.  With the Briley choke .665 shooting longbeards the pattern is so tight that I will have to go to a more open choke if I want to hunt with longbeards. 

Offline lowoctane

• Longbeard
  • “When I die, then I’ll be old.”
« Reply #2 on: July 07, 2014, 10:27:56 AM »
 :thanks:
I’m Old School...
GOD, GUTS AND GUNS
MADE AMERICA GREAT,
LET'S KEEP ALL THREE!
NRA Endowment
NAHC Life

Offline 3" 870 Shell Shucker

• Double Beard
  • I want lots of even coverage.
« Reply #3 on: July 12, 2014, 11:51:43 PM »
OK, Id like to confess that I'm human, and subject to making a mistake every once in a while.

I have a stand that I mount my targets on, that I never move.  In the past I have hand measured from that stand with a measuring tape, and marked where 40 Yards was.  Sometime recently my mark for 40 Yards got moved and I didn't realize it.  Therefore, I actually patterned the Rhino .660 RemChoke I have from 44 Yards and 34 Yards, Not 40 Yards and 30 Yards.  I'm sorry if my previous posts on this thread misled anyone.  I have deleted them, and wish to post this as a correction.

So now I view the patterns I shot in a different light.  44 Yards is a very long shot with Lead pellets.  Except for maybe Longbeard, (which I have not tried yet), 44 Yards is past the point where I expect to get 100 or even 90 in 10".  Still though, I got nice even patterns with #4, #5, and #6 Turkey loads.  Federal Turkey Thugs, Federal Strut Shok, Win Sup HV, PMC, etc.

I also tried some Squirrel loads at 34 Yards the same day.  (44 - 10, instead of 40 - 10)  Once again the patterns were very even with #6, #7.5, & #8.

Today I shot more patterns at 20 Yards and 30 Yards.  I'm getting Dense patterns at 20 yards that stay nice and Even all the way out to 44 Yards.  Plus I'm dead on at 20 Yards just using the factory bead.

Perhaps I will use my Indian Creek .665 sometimes, and my Rhino .660 at other times.  I definitely plan to keep and use both.

« Last Edit: July 13, 2014, 01:06:56 PM by 3" 870 Shell Shucker »