turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

woodpecker

Started by sleepyturkey, June 25, 2014, 07:45:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sleepyturkey

Have got all my locators locked down except my woodpecker call, any recommendations on a good call?

WV Ridge Reaper

savduck

Haydels used to make one called the Raging Rooster. It screams as a wood pecker call.
Georgia Boy

M Sharpe

I've never heard a turkey gobble at a woodpecker.....
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

FL-Boss

They will gobble at that... but it likely a shock gobble. In that case, they will gobble at anything that makes noise .    I have seen them Gobble at some crazy things in the past when not hunting and just playing around.

M Sharpe

Been hunting them 30 years and never heard it, hawk screamer either. We've got some pretty good woodpeckers here in south Georgia. However, I do always cock an ear listening when I hear a woodpecker. I've seen jakes head for cover at the sound of a hawk, but that's it. Guess it works in different parts of the country.
I'm not a Christian because I'm strong and have it all together. I'm a Christian because I'm weak and admit I need a Saviour!

outdoors

I HAVE TO AGREE WITH IT NOT WORKING AT LEAST IN THE SOUTH  ???
                      Osceola's
Sun Shine State { Osceola }
http://m.myfwc.com/media/4132227/turkeyhuntnoquota.jpg

noisy box call that seems to sound like a flock of juvenile hens pecking their way through a wheat field

savduck

Had gobblers gobble at woodpeckers three times this season and once at a hawk. I live an hour from Mark.

In fact one group of two gobblers only gobbled at the woodpecker, nothing else. I find they gobble at them better mid day and afternoons.
Georgia Boy

M Sharpe

Funny how they gobble at different things at different places. Was in Texas one time and they ate a peacock call up!!!
I've still to hear one gobble at a woodpecker call....or hawk! But, that's just where I hunt. Some folks have no luck with a crow call either!

sleepyturkey

Its for the GNCC locator contest