OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

first bow hunt with a recurve

Started by hrpp20, March 29, 2015, 09:45:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hrpp20

So I am thinking about trying some bow hunting this season. Maybe if I take 2 birds I'll try to take the third with a bow. Or something like that. I have a Ben Pearson recurve with a 45lb. draw. It is not accessorized, and all I have are some cheap aluminum arrows with target points and a couple of basic all purpose broad heads. What are a few of the most essential accessories for recurves and what arrows and broad heads should I choose?

Dan Mallia

Any broadhead would work.

I use Magnus Bullheads.

cornfedkiller

As Dan mentioned, any broadhead will do, but most guys that bowhunt turkeys use larger diameter mechanicals.  I havent turkey hunted with my recurve yet, but was planning on using the Magnus Bullheads when I decide to give it a try.  That way, I don't run the risk of wounding a bird - he's either dead right there or its a clean miss. 

Also, the larger cutting diameter gives me a better chance of hitting him.  I have practiced with them out of my recurve before and they fly great, I just don't have quite enough confidence in my recurve ability yet to give it a shot..