Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

5-11-14 hunting log

Started by eddie234, May 12, 2014, 10:13:55 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

eddie234

Well, I got to go hunting yesterday. I was running a little late it was about 0545 and it was just starting to break light when I hit the woods, the turkeys were gobbling their heads off. I was able to get close to one of them and set up my decoys and made a few soft yelps.  I ran back to my tree and waited, around 0630 I decided to call a couple more time and he hammered them and was close. I was set up about 30 yards from an old logging road intersection and had another logging road about 20 yards further up the hill. A few more soft clucks and purrs brought him in to the logging road furthest away.
I think the decoys were my demise, he stayed on that upper logging road just strutting and gobbling till almost 0800. I thought it was just a little out of my comfort zone to take a shot. He put on quit a show, that's the first turkey I have had displaying like that. Normally they just walk in so it was a good day even if I wasn't able to get the shot.
I have two weeks left and have a four day weekend coming up and the final two days off so hopefully I will get a second chance at him.

mikejd

Keep at him. You'll get him. And honorable thing to let him pass for another day
rather then roll him and loose him. Good luck.