OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Fed Hw & .680?

Started by the Ward, May 09, 2014, 08:46:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

the Ward

Just acquired a .680 Pure Gold choke for the bps. Curious as to whether anyone has tried the Fed's in a choke this tight. I got a chance to pop a couple rounds out of it with a variety of ammo and it shot pretty good with the Rem Hd 6s an 2.25 Rem lead 4s. Thanks !

Rem Man

Hello i dont think i would go that tight with that FCW, With that shell i think the .690 range is about perfect. Those big 10's have alot of energy and the wad is really stiff, i dont think i would try to push that wad through such a tight choke but i honestly don't know.

the Ward

I was just thinking that the guys shooting hw in the 12 gauge were running tight chokes to help "defeat" the flite control wad to get tighter patterns, not sure if it would do the same in the 10. I have a kicks .690 already that seems to be the ticket for the fed hw for the guys shooting it in 10 gauge. I wonder if the wad in the hw is the same as the wad in the pb FC loads? I have some lead 5s in fed fc, might try those in it and the kicks back to back and see what the difference in patterns would be. Thanks for your reply!

deadbuck

I don't know what the wads in the lead loads look like, but here is a flite control wad for 10 gauge Heavyweight #7 I recently shot laying next to the bill for size comparison. The outside diameter of the shotcup is .750 and it is very tough plastic.

Old Gobbler

I have a pure gold 690 around here somewhere , it shot a 160 with the hw7 -
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

decoykrvr

I had a Pure Gold .680 which produced good even turkey killing patterns with both the Federal (non-FCW) and Winchester shells w/ both 5's and 6's.  With the PG .680 and the Federal FCW w/ both lead and HW shells the patterns were blown w/ numerous fist size holes.  The Pure Gold .690 produces good even patterns w/ about everything which I have evaluated, but the Gobblin Thunder .690 produces a 10-15% better pattern w/ the Federal HW shells.

deadbuck

Was the pure gold .680 ported or non ported?

decoykrvr

I think it was ported, but I'm not sure, since I swapped it out for a Pure Gold .690 which is ported.  The PG .690 produces patterns w/ the NON-flitecontrol and Winchester shell which are simpatico w/ the PG .680, and substantially better w/ the Fed HW 7's.

gobbler74

I haven't found a perfect marriage yet for 10 ga federal HW. I read guys posting from 160-200 and that's killing birds no doubt. My 20 shot 150's with tempest and 12 currently averages 225 highest being 255 from the headhunter .650. Now if I can get up to those numbers with my 10's I'd consider a switch from mag blends and nitro 7's and 6x7. Rhino will cut you a non ported choke. Id rather see jebs or sumtoy take that on. I just never had it done. Im not a fan of the price but its more for the option of a hw specific choke. The longer choke is a big factor from what ive found shooting the hw. These little 1' and flush chokes will shoot hw but haven't seen a pattern better than the 2" non ported.
"Do not follow where the path may lead. Go instead where there is no path and leave a trail"