OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: any info on a sx3  (Read 50928 times)

Offline Newtgallapavo

any info on a sx3
« on: May 04, 2014, 10:44:30 PM »
I think I have my 870 sold and will start in working on the next gun. Im looking hard at an sx3 but cant get my hands on one locally to see if I like it or not. Any info or pros and cons to the gun and some good combos for shell and choke would be appreciated. :thanks:

Offline d.winsor

Re: any info on a sx3
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 12:30:08 AM »
I googled SX3 and then called any dealers I could find close to me that would be willing to order me one.  I ordered the NWTF edition with the cantilever scope mount, I got it for about 200 less than winchester listed it for.  I put a quality scope on mine and in order to see thru it (I had the low scope rings) I had to lift my cheek off the stock, I Got scope eye really bad.  I went home and ordered a Fastfire 3, no more scope eye, I love it.  Even If I had bought a different version of the SX3 I would still put a Fastfire 3 or similar red dot on it.  If you plan to put a scope on it before you order one be sure to ask if it is drilled and tapped, I think there is only one that is, I might be wrong.  If you plan to put a scope on it and it is not drilled and tapped from the factory or a cantilever mount, Other SX3's cannot be drilled and tapped.  Be sure to call Winchester and ask them if you have a model in mind and plan for a scope.  My gun came with a .650 choke in it, I shoot #5's and chose to use a .665 Briley ported and straight rifled choke.  I shot Supreme HV #5 shot and it had a good pattern, that is what I have shot since 1992.  Then I shot Longbeard #5 shot, the pattern was so tight I was afraid to hunt with it.  A more open choke would have a more forgiving pattern in my opinion.  I did not shoot the .650 choke.  You can't go wrong with the SX3 they are easy to clean and fun to shoot.   You will probably need a scope of some type as it shoots really tight.  Good Luck
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 12:57:17 AM by d.winsor »

Offline Newtgallapavo

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 01:34:47 PM »
thank u......I am leaning toward one for sure but havent made up my mind yet. I am going to see if I can go this next couple weeks to see if I can look one ovea

Offline deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 09:58:36 PM »
If you are going from an 870 to a SX3 you are moving up in the world in my opinion. You will soon wonder why you didn't do it sooner!

Offline chipper

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 08:51:40 PM »
I've been shooting a Sx2 and Sx3 for about 10 years, after I got the SX3 Universal Hunter with a 26" pipe,  put in a Indian Creek .665 and went to shooting Hevi 13 shells in my opinion I had the perfect Turkey gun for me. If I were to get any other gun it would be a Browning Maxus

Offline taylorjones20

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 10:55:40 PM »
SX3 with Indian Creek .665 - I shoot the Nitro MH517.  The gun is the best all around shotgun I have ever used.  Great shooting gun!  Low recoil.  Light weight.  Great feel.  List goes on and on...  :icon_thumright:
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Offline teke

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 10:09:41 PM »
Sx3 Waterfowl MODB camo 28" bbl.  Indian Creek BDS .665 and Hevi-Shot 3.5/2.25/7's
You won't go wrong with a SX3   :z-winnersmiley:

Offline Tail Feathers

• Limbhanger
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 04:50:10 PM »
I just shot my SX3 20 gauge for the first time today. I shot some 1 1/4" pheasant load 6's for a function test.  Sure is a soft shooter, especially compared to my 835!  I love the handling and feel.  I haven't tried adjust the stock at all but I'll try that some before patterning.
I did shoot some steel plates at the range and even with a modified choke it seemed to hit POA with the bead.
I can't wait for the wind to die down and I get a chance to do some real patterning with these 6's and some HW 7's.
I got the Universal Hunter version which comes drilled and tapped.  26" barrel and weighs 8 ounces less than the cantilever version.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline daymude7288

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 05:07:23 PM »
I have SX3 28" MOBL that I use to hunt waterfowl and love it.  Thought about trying it to hunt turkeys this year but haven't decided.  My old 870 is hard to let go.

Offline Turkeyhunter-2012

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 07:40:04 PM »
I have been shooting the sx3 for 4years now an i love it! I'm shooting nitro shells H518 with the Carlson longbeard xr choketube an getting 300+ shot in 10in circle at 40yds. Put a vortex strikefire on top a call it the red dot of death!! when you pull the trigger they just can't stand it.

Offline Dr Juice

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Long Spur Gobbler
any info on a sx3
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 08:30:08 PM »
I have been shooting the sx3 for 4years now an i love it! I'm shooting nitro shells H518 with the Carlson longbeard xr choketube an getting 300+ shot in 10in circle at 40yds. Put a vortex strikefire on top a call it the red dot of death!! when you pull the trigger they just can't stand it.
That's simply amazing numbers.

Offline deltaeta

any info on a sx3
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 08:55:51 PM »
Love mine. Don't use a red dot or scope so I've got a ribbed barrel. Shooting a jelly head and mag blends. Awesome pattern. Can't see any way to improve it.

Offline stringtown

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2016, 06:08:26 AM »
Found this while looking for suggestions. My old 870 gave up the ghost yesterday so did some internet work yesterday. This gun has caught my eye. I was looking at the pistol grip version Super X Pump Long Beard. Anyone have any experience w/ this specific gun? I had the initial thumb hole 870 from just over a decade ago but can't decide on refuse vs pistol grip stock for the Winchester. Also, anyone have any choke/ammo combo suggestions for this specific gun? TIA

Offline Hansonc

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 08:09:49 AM »
I've got the black shadow model and I bought a camo stock and Forend for it just this winter. It has a 28" barrel and it patterns everything I put in it really well. I bought it for waterfowling and has been awesome and never let me down. I'm going on my 5th year with it. If I didn't have a wedding and honeymoon coming up to pay for I'd be getting another one for a more dedicated turkey rig. When I have my Indian creek choke in it I dang near touch every branch in the woods with it. Mine really likes the H13#7s and LB 5 or 6's with either a rob Roberts or Indian creek choke.

Offline 357MAGNOLE

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 11:27:02 AM »
Take this for what it is worth, but I had an SX3 and the insert inside of the stock, that your butt pad screws in to.  Mine broke, it took 4... I repeat 4 months to get a replacement from Winchester. Including about 15 phone calls and 0 email correspondence on their end. I wont be buying another Winchester. Cant understand how they can continue to manufacture and put out new shotguns for sale and not have a part available to send to a customer.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson