OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
DC Cattle Ranch

Author Topic: any info on a sx3  (Read 28809 times)

Offline Newtgallapavo

any info on a sx3
« on: May 04, 2014, 10:44:30 PM »
I think I have my 870 sold and will start in working on the next gun. Im looking hard at an sx3 but cant get my hands on one locally to see if I like it or not. Any info or pros and cons to the gun and some good combos for shell and choke would be appreciated. :thanks:

Offline d.winsor

Re: any info on a sx3
« Reply #1 on: May 05, 2014, 12:30:08 AM »
I googled SX3 and then called any dealers I could find close to me that would be willing to order me one.  I ordered the NWTF edition with the cantilever scope mount, I got it for about 200 less than winchester listed it for.  I put a quality scope on mine and in order to see thru it (I had the low scope rings) I had to lift my cheek off the stock, I Got scope eye really bad.  I went home and ordered a Fastfire 3, no more scope eye, I love it.  Even If I had bought a different version of the SX3 I would still put a Fastfire 3 or similar red dot on it.  If you plan to put a scope on it before you order one be sure to ask if it is drilled and tapped, I think there is only one that is, I might be wrong.  If you plan to put a scope on it and it is not drilled and tapped from the factory or a cantilever mount, Other SX3's cannot be drilled and tapped.  Be sure to call Winchester and ask them if you have a model in mind and plan for a scope.  My gun came with a .650 choke in it, I shoot #5's and chose to use a .665 Briley ported and straight rifled choke.  I shot Supreme HV #5 shot and it had a good pattern, that is what I have shot since 1992.  Then I shot Longbeard #5 shot, the pattern was so tight I was afraid to hunt with it.  A more open choke would have a more forgiving pattern in my opinion.  I did not shoot the .650 choke.  You can't go wrong with the SX3 they are easy to clean and fun to shoot.   You will probably need a scope of some type as it shoots really tight.  Good Luck
« Last Edit: May 05, 2014, 12:57:17 AM by d.winsor »

Offline Newtgallapavo

« Reply #2 on: May 05, 2014, 01:34:47 PM »
thank u......I am leaning toward one for sure but havent made up my mind yet. I am going to see if I can go this next couple weeks to see if I can look one ovea

Offline deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: May 05, 2014, 09:58:36 PM »
If you are going from an 870 to a SX3 you are moving up in the world in my opinion. You will soon wonder why you didn't do it sooner!

Offline chipper

« Reply #4 on: May 06, 2014, 08:51:40 PM »
I've been shooting a Sx2 and Sx3 for about 10 years, after I got the SX3 Universal Hunter with a 26" pipe,  put in a Indian Creek .665 and went to shooting Hevi 13 shells in my opinion I had the perfect Turkey gun for me. If I were to get any other gun it would be a Browning Maxus

Offline taylorjones20

• Longbeard
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 10:55:40 PM »
SX3 with Indian Creek .665 - I shoot the Nitro MH517.  The gun is the best all around shotgun I have ever used.  Great shooting gun!  Low recoil.  Light weight.  Great feel.  List goes on and on...  :icon_thumright:
Alive only by the Grace Of God

Offline teke

« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2014, 10:09:41 PM »
Sx3 Waterfowl MODB camo 28" bbl.  Indian Creek BDS .665 and Hevi-Shot 3.5/2.25/7's
You won't go wrong with a SX3   :z-winnersmiley:

Offline Tail Feathers

• Double Beard
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 04:50:10 PM »
I just shot my SX3 20 gauge for the first time today. I shot some 1 1/4" pheasant load 6's for a function test.  Sure is a soft shooter, especially compared to my 835!  I love the handling and feel.  I haven't tried adjust the stock at all but I'll try that some before patterning.
I did shoot some steel plates at the range and even with a modified choke it seemed to hit POA with the bead.
I can't wait for the wind to die down and I get a chance to do some real patterning with these 6's and some HW 7's.
I got the Universal Hunter version which comes drilled and tapped.  26" barrel and weighs 8 ounces less than the cantilever version.
Love to hunt the King of Spring!

Offline daymude7288

« Reply #8 on: December 22, 2014, 05:07:23 PM »
I have SX3 28" MOBL that I use to hunt waterfowl and love it.  Thought about trying it to hunt turkeys this year but haven't decided.  My old 870 is hard to let go.

Offline Turkeyhunter-2012

« Reply #9 on: March 30, 2016, 07:40:04 PM »
I have been shooting the sx3 for 4years now an i love it! I'm shooting nitro shells H518 with the Carlson longbeard xr choketube an getting 300+ shot in 10in circle at 40yds. Put a vortex strikefire on top a call it the red dot of death!! when you pull the trigger they just can't stand it.

Offline Dr Juice

• 2019 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
any info on a sx3
« Reply #10 on: March 30, 2016, 08:30:08 PM »
I have been shooting the sx3 for 4years now an i love it! I'm shooting nitro shells H518 with the Carlson longbeard xr choketube an getting 300+ shot in 10in circle at 40yds. Put a vortex strikefire on top a call it the red dot of death!! when you pull the trigger they just can't stand it.
That's simply amazing numbers.

Offline deltaeta

any info on a sx3
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2016, 08:55:51 PM »
Love mine. Don't use a red dot or scope so I've got a ribbed barrel. Shooting a jelly head and mag blends. Awesome pattern. Can't see any way to improve it.

Offline stringtown

« Reply #12 on: April 03, 2016, 06:08:26 AM »
Found this while looking for suggestions. My old 870 gave up the ghost yesterday so did some internet work yesterday. This gun has caught my eye. I was looking at the pistol grip version Super X Pump Long Beard. Anyone have any experience w/ this specific gun? I had the initial thumb hole 870 from just over a decade ago but can't decide on refuse vs pistol grip stock for the Winchester. Also, anyone have any choke/ammo combo suggestions for this specific gun? TIA

Offline Hansonc

« Reply #13 on: April 07, 2016, 08:09:49 AM »
I've got the black shadow model and I bought a camo stock and Forend for it just this winter. It has a 28" barrel and it patterns everything I put in it really well. I bought it for waterfowling and has been awesome and never let me down. I'm going on my 5th year with it. If I didn't have a wedding and honeymoon coming up to pay for I'd be getting another one for a more dedicated turkey rig. When I have my Indian creek choke in it I dang near touch every branch in the woods with it. Mine really likes the H13#7s and LB 5 or 6's with either a rob Roberts or Indian creek choke.

Offline 357MAGNOLE

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #14 on: April 07, 2016, 11:27:02 AM »
Take this for what it is worth, but I had an SX3 and the insert inside of the stock, that your butt pad screws in to.  Mine broke, it took 4... I repeat 4 months to get a replacement from Winchester. Including about 15 phone calls and 0 email correspondence on their end. I wont be buying another Winchester. Cant understand how they can continue to manufacture and put out new shotguns for sale and not have a part available to send to a customer.
"The democracy will cease to exist when you take away from those who are willing to work and give to those who would not."--Thomas Jefferson