OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Chilled.. Magnum.. Copper plated ..or .. Nickle??  (Read 9354 times)

Offline String Cutter

Chilled.. Magnum.. Copper plated ..or .. Nickle??
« on: April 28, 2014, 11:33:44 PM »
First time posting here guys. Just bought a Lee's Load All and am going to tinker with loading my own shells.. What do you guys think would be a good shot to start with testing ? Chilled?? Mag.?? Copper Plated ?? Nickle?? Was really wanting to shoot #6's..

Offline d.winsor

Re: Chilled.. Magnum.. Copper plated ..or .. Nickle??
« Reply #1 on: April 29, 2014, 12:06:52 AM »
Be sure to buy you a loading manual for shot Gun Shells and follow it religiously.  I used Chilled shot for squirrel, rabbits, quail, etc.  Use plated shot for keeping your shot from deforming as much when fired.  For turkey normally lead shot is plated with Copper, Nickle is harder than copper.  Lee Load all is great for someone getting into loading shot shells, and for someone who does not load large quantities of shot shell.  You can adjust your loads to your specific patterning needs, The thing that is nice about  reloading is you can load and shoot any size shot you want.  Good Luck

Offline String Cutter

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2014, 01:52:55 AM »
Thank you for the info. What I could read of it??? Seems I can only see 3/4 of the screen??? Anyone else having this problem??

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #3 on: April 30, 2014, 09:24:01 AM »
You have them listed in order from softest to hardest. If you are loading for turkeys, I would start with the best, which is Ni plated. The NP from Precision Reloading is generally regarded as the best available for handloaders. BPI also sells it, but PR's is reputed to be harder.

Offline String Cutter

« Reply #4 on: May 02, 2014, 05:02:38 AM »
Was looking at the site.you.recommended. They have bismuth and hevi shot for sale. Are these worth the price they are asking? Is Hevi shot really shot 40 percent hard then lead? And would the heavi shot be go in size 7.5 @ 40 yards? Thanks for any help.you can give

Offline BandedSpur

« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 05:06:43 AM »
IMO, HS and Bismuth are not worth the extra money for reloading. Bismuth is less dense than lead, and HS has priced itself out of the market. It costs almost as much as TSS with no where near the performance. It is difficult to load HS with as large a payload as you can buy in factory loaded ammo and keep it under SAAMI pressure levels. If I was going to shoot HS, I would buy factory ammo. If you want to handload, go with TSS. But yes, HS 7.5s will kill fine at 40.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2015, 03:12:30 PM by BandedSpur »

Offline 3" 870 Shell Shucker

• Double Beard
  • I want lots of even coverage.
« Reply #6 on: May 08, 2014, 11:59:22 PM »
If I was going to shoot HS, I would by factory ammo.

Yes, I agree.

It's quite easy to load your own 3" Lead loads that will pattern well at 35 Yards.  Really easy.  It's those extra 5 yards that require some finesse.

Offline String Cutter

« Reply #7 on: May 09, 2014, 05:21:56 AM »
I am talking to a company in China now and trying to order 4-6 pounds. Shipping is going to to be like $58. But I guess I will be able to load about 50 rounds from that amount ... and since 50 rounds should kill about 48 turkeies within 40 yrds .. I'll have a life time supply of shells.. :z-guntootsmiley:

Offline R AJ

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #8 on: May 09, 2014, 10:08:49 AM »
If I could get the nickel plated #6 shot and mix with some of your Chinese hevi - shot that could be a neat shell combo.  For just 35 and under shots the nickel plated 6s will be a deadly 3" load.

Try finding powder at a gun show or shooting range as the shipping charge for explosives( extra tax added on by gov't for tracking purposes) is pretty steep.

Offline String Cutter

« Reply #9 on: May 11, 2014, 11:42:01 PM »
It's TSS that I am trying to get from china. But the idea of mixing nickel plated #6's seems like a really good idea . Anyone here ever done it?

Offline Byhalia

• Scout from afar and hunt very close.....
    • Turkey Calls
« Reply #10 on: August 29, 2014, 08:19:20 AM »
Thanks for all this information....gets one to thinking     ;D
~ Listen to the Wind ~    http://customprocalls.com/

Offline albrubacker

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2015, 07:40:37 PM »
About a yr ago I had found some 5 1/2 shot Nickle plated. Had my wheels turning.
The addiction will cost you time and money and alienate those close to you. I can give you the names of a dozen addicts — myself included — whose wives begin to get their hackles up a week before turkey season starts and stay mad until a week after it closes.

—Charlie Elliott

Offline turkey buster

• Longbeard
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2015, 07:45:06 PM »

I am talking to a company in China now and trying to order 4-6 pounds. Shipping is going to to be like $58. But I guess I will be able to load about 50 rounds from that amount ... and since 50 rounds should kill about 48 turkeies within 40 yrds .. I'll have a life time supply of shells.. :z-guntootsmiley:

Buying ammo material from China!!  Have you ever been probbed by the FBI? Lol :TooFunny:

Offline blueridgegobbler

« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2015, 06:17:25 AM »
Nickel 6s will smoke a bird to 40 yards all day long, don't even start with the HS we did it for ducks a few years ago what a pain not at all worth it. If you buffer and buy un-split wads you can fix the load to your particular gun just play with different slits and you can find a good load for your gun

ep427

« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2015, 07:05:47 PM »
Copper plated seems to pattern the best for me.