OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: What would you do to take this Tom?  (Read 2295 times)

Offline livetohunt72

What would you do to take this Tom?
« on: April 23, 2014, 11:17:03 PM »
Ive been hunting this one Tom for 3 years now hes roosted in the same tree everytime until this morning. But picture a diamond the bottom point of the diamond is a swamp where hes roosted the right side is a clear cut the left side is a pond and the top is a field the center is a very open wood patch lots of trees just no cover. me and my dad have split up one int the clear cut one at the pond and he went to the field and could get him to come back to us even after the hens left. this week I've been hunting solo and Ive tried to set up every different location and he always gobbles when i call (hes the only gobbler Ive heard besides a Jake this season) I've tried to set up in the trees where he usually flys down but he ended up being roosted on the other side of the pond, I've sat in the field and waited since it seems like that's where he always ends up and he flew into the clear cut, we have sat in the clear cut and he goes to the field the pond has sign but I've never seen or heard him at the pond but i also haven't got to hunt any evenings and i think that's where hes using to fly up from. I've tried to sit without calling before flydown I've called while hes roosted, I've called trying to piss the hens off and I've called trying to get him to come after the hens leave but its like he can read my mind... so what would you do?

Offline RemingtonRules

Re: What would you do to take this Tom?
« Reply #1 on: April 23, 2014, 11:48:48 PM »
Put the calls up and bushwack if you really want him.  Either at fly down or at roost time.  Since you know where he roosts I would go on an evening hunt.  Sit down and shut up.  Let him make the move.

Offline livetohunt72

« Reply #2 on: April 23, 2014, 11:52:30 PM »
im gonna hunt friday and sat all day but the past 3 days i havent called until he flew down or until i locate which way hes goin

Offline RemingtonRules

« Reply #3 on: April 24, 2014, 09:59:56 AM »
Even though you wait until he hits the ground the lead hen with him does not want you around.  She is the one leading him around you.  That would be my guess.   I have a similar situation with a bird.  I have had him close but not close enough.  If I make a call the boss hen skirts him around me. 

Offline livetohunt72

« Reply #4 on: April 24, 2014, 10:06:56 AM »
yea only reason i bother to call is to see if he has hens which tuesday he didnt have any with him and still wouldnt come in and it also lets him know another hen is in the area

Offline tomatohead

« Reply #5 on: April 24, 2014, 09:37:07 PM »
keep doing what your doing, once that hen starts nesting he will be more vulnerable. key is not to spook him before hand and who knows one of these times it will all come together

Offline livetohunt72

What would you do to take this Tom?
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 04:00:17 PM »
Well...I think I found my problem this morning the one bird I have always heard gobble isn't the bird I've seen in the field the one I have heard gobbling for 3 years stayed on one side while I was set up waiting for him on the other and then the big boy gobbled behind me... Looks like I got a challenge....

Offline Dr^ke

« Reply #7 on: April 25, 2014, 10:12:38 PM »
Try setting up a jake or a strutter in the field. I'm a major fan of the killer B with a small, ratty looking jake fan on it. Put it in a highly visible area and you might be able to entice him in. I like the killer B because of the motion in the fan. Usually when the big boy sees the jake strutting its all it takes for him to try it out. Also, if you have a gobble call of some sort maybe give that a try in combination with the decoy. Wait for a hen to make a call and then gobble back at her once or twice. Get creative and give him something he hasn't seen before.