OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Making my own striker  (Read 3430 times)

Offline bowshooter85

Making my own striker
« on: April 21, 2014, 03:47:31 PM »
I am trying to make my own striker. I am in the making of making a slate call and I have considered making my own striker also. I figured if I was going to make one might as well make the other. I would like to make the striker out of a carbon arrow. The only problem I'm having is what do I put on the top as the handle part. I know the ones you buy at the store are normally wooden. Is that what I should use. The question I'm asking is what do you all use or what suggestions do you have. And question 2 is how long does it need to be?  Thank you for any comments

Sent from my SCH-R970 using Tapatalk

Offline | Justin |

• Shasta Calls
    • Shasta Calls
Re: Making my own striker
« Reply #1 on: April 22, 2014, 01:03:40 PM »
Generally I make my strikers 7.5" (total length) with a 3.5" top and a 4" shaft. 

That's a neat idea using a carbon arrow shaft, but I'm not so sure it'll work out being that the arrow shaft would be a hollow tube. 
[EDIT]It looks like I was wrong about this and other users are having good results with the hollow arrow shaft[/EDIT]

As far as the material for the top goes, you could really use just about anything... the main purpose is to add weight.  Some people use plastics, acrylic, wood, etc, I prefer to make/use one piece strikers turned on the lathe.
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 04:29:37 PM by | Justin | »

Offline ky turkey hunter

« Reply #2 on: April 22, 2014, 02:36:41 PM »
I made some with a carbon arrow I pick up a wooden dowel at lowes and made a top
I used a 6 in arrow shaft and a 3in top I let the arrow go up into the top 1.5 in   

Offline | Justin |

• Shasta Calls
    • Shasta Calls
« Reply #3 on: April 22, 2014, 03:08:07 PM »
I made some with a carbon arrow I pick up a wooden dowel at lowes and made a top
I used a 6 in arrow shaft and a 3in top I let the arrow go up into the top 1.5 in

I'm curious... did you fill the arrow shaft or attach some sort of a tip to it?  I don't understand how a hollow arrow shaft would work for a striker tip.

Offline ky turkey hunter

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 03:58:05 PM »
All I did was glue the top to the arrow the
« Last Edit: April 22, 2014, 04:15:07 PM by ky turkey hunter »

Offline | Justin |

• Shasta Calls
    • Shasta Calls
« Reply #5 on: April 22, 2014, 04:25:02 PM »
Very interesting... I didn't realize they'd run ok being hollow like this.  I'll have to make one of these with some of the old carbon shafts I have laying around too. 

Offline SCGobbler

• Ya can't fix stupid!
They work!
« Reply #6 on: April 22, 2014, 04:55:57 PM »
Primos used to sell one that was hollow like this.  It essentially was a carbon arrow shaft

Sent from my Windows Lumia 920 using Tapatalk
The SC Gobbler

Some men are mere hunters; others are turkey hunters.
                    —Archibald Rutledge

Offline mastevt

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Find me on face book, Scott's Custom Turkey Calls
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2014, 01:10:21 PM »
you may find that it will sound screetchy.  If so, you'll need to add weight to the top some how.  You can do this by drilling out the end, and adding something heavy.  For instance, drill a 3/8 hole, 1 1/4 deep, then cut off a 3/8 in bolt 1 in long, and stick in the hole, use a 3/8 dowel as a plug, and leave it a little long at first, don't glue it, but stick it in to hold the weight, and run it, see how it sounds.  Once you get it tuned to your liking, glue in the dowel, and file/sand off clean.