OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Season so far.. on the board.  (Read 2488 times)

Offline derek

• The Boss Gobbler
    • The Bayside Legion
Season so far.. on the board.
« on: April 19, 2014, 07:49:19 PM »
Hunted the same property that kicked my butt last year in De only to have received a similar butt whooping last Saturday, Thursday and Friday.  Had the closest call Friday when a bird that never gobbled came in drumming.. he was close but I never saw him. 

This morning was the first day I hunted MD.  Started out quiet on my end of the area while dad was on the other side with a bird on fire!  I bumped a gobbler that hadn't made a peep.. so I just hunkered down for a bit while I let things calm down.  @ 958 dad texted me that he hadn't heard his bird in a while and I was welcome to come up and try to stir him up if I was bored on my side.  Right then I heard a gobble down the road 75 yards from me.. I real quick hopped around a big deadfall so I would have a clear approach.  Sat on a little knoll with the sun shining bright on me which gave me the best vantage point for how thick it was.. The bird steps into the woods at about 45 yards from me, he stands tall then takes a few steps.. when he did I moved my gun barrel.. he saw the movement and perked up. Kind of got the "now or never" vibe and let 'er rip.  Text dad quickly and said "I'm good!" at 10:08.  Turned out to be a jake bird, guess my instinct that it was a LB wasn't a good one and didn't get a chance to see a beard in the thick stuff, although he did weigh 18.4lbs.  Felt good to drop the hammer either way.  There will be plenty more tags to fill this season for an upgrade. 

Offline BowBendr

• Double Beard
  • North Carolina
Re: Season so far.. on the board.
« Reply #1 on: April 19, 2014, 10:28:37 PM »
Way to go Derek, sounded like an exciting hunt !!

Offline MDbowman

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 19, 2014, 10:36:16 PM »
Congrats again. The bird I was messing with will haunt me for awhile. He loved to gobble but just wouldn't come my way. Maybe next weekend I can get another try at him.

Offline Scottyb

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 10:39:27 PM »
Good work Derek.... 
Mossy Oak Pro Staff...

Offline canadatom

« Reply #4 on: April 20, 2014, 10:22:41 PM »
Congrats on a nice bird

Offline whitelightning

« Reply #5 on: April 21, 2014, 03:31:33 PM »
Congrats man!
[img]https://i.imgur.com/tn8dB2k.gif/img]

Offline learn2hide

• Check out www.hunterslink.com "The Break TV" on f
    • HuntersLink and The Break
« Reply #6 on: April 25, 2014, 12:40:20 AM »
always fun when things fall in place...don't blame you a bit after getting 3 butt whoopins it's time to pull the trigger! well done
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

Offline Duke0002

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #7 on: April 26, 2014, 04:21:36 PM »
Nice bird and hunt!  Congrats!