OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Buffering shot???  (Read 5112 times)

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
Buffering shot???
« on: March 31, 2014, 10:05:09 AM »
I have a T/C Encore that I've used in the past with a 100g. of triple 7 and 2 oz of knights #6 shot. I've never used buffering with the shot and always had good 40yd patterns. Just wondering if buffering with shot improves patterns or not. I also have several pounds of #6 hevishot I want to try out. Has anyone tried buffering shot vs.non buffering and how do you know how much to add with the shot and is it worth experimenting with?

Offline joey46

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
Re: Buffering shot???
« Reply #1 on: April 01, 2014, 06:22:31 AM »
A year or so ago this was discussed in length on another forum.  If memory serves yes patterns can be improved with both buffering and hevi shot.  Takes a lot of time at the patterning board to find what you particular gun likes.  Good luck. 

Offline 1iagobblergetter

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #2 on: April 01, 2014, 02:38:07 PM »
Ok thnks, If I get the time I might mess with it. I also have some of that shot that's heavier than hevi shot and fed heavyweight. I'd like to try it just to see what I can come up with. I've had it so long I forgot the name of it  and how much heavier it is, but always wanted to see what it could do out of a muzzleloader.

Offline DownWind Outdoors

• DownWind Outdoors
« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2014, 08:28:40 PM »
I have been buffering loads out an Encore muzzleloader for years now, currently I am loading #7 Tungsten Super Shot (which is very close to the density of the Federal heavyweight shot). However, I have loaded original Hevi-Shot and also Turkey Trauma 13 with great results. I am loading 1 3/4 ounce of shot in a Ballistic Product's TPS wad trimmed to proper length to accommodate shot, over 105 grains of Triple 7. I use one scoopful (2.5 cc) of Mix #47 buffer to each load. The process of loading this is very extensive though and takes a long time to do it properly, and I have also made a long paper funnel to be able to get powder and buffer, both of which love to adhere to the choke threads past them without any mess at all. I load in the order as follows: Powder, fiber wad, 2 felt cushion wads, now seat TPS wad with trimmed cushion wads to take up some space in the bottom of the TPS wad, now pre-measured amount of shot with a scoop of buffer on TOP of the shot in a 35mm film container, pour this down the paper funnel and into the wad you have seated earlier, tap the lower barrel excessively to distribute the buffer, seat another fiber wad and I top it all off with one of the black Styrofoam cards that used to come in the bag of Knight wads. Re-install choke (Indian Creek has performed the best out of this muzzleloader for me). Next step... go smoke a big long beard! The patterns this combo generates are truly awesome. My buddies say I am nuts and it it way to much effort for one shot, but I enjoy doing it and love to try new things and a muzzleloading shotgun is a perfect way to experiment. I have tried many different loads and techniques of loading and this has been far and away the best. Best of Luck.
DownWind Outdoors

www.downwindoutdoors.com