turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

In a funk

Started by nativeks, April 18, 2014, 06:56:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nativeks

So its been a couple years since I turkey hunted. Numbers got low and I let them be. Starting to see a little comeback so I gave it a whirl again this year. I have never missed a turkey and I knew that had to end some time. I missed last Sunday at about 20 yards. I am shooting a Beretta 390 with Hevishot 5s and a Primos Tightwad choke. Killed several birds with it before I safed it. Fast forward to day. Had a great day at work and they let us go early. Go to the spot I had seen two strutters the past 3 nights. Was set up ready by 1530. 1620 a bird starts gobbling close. A hen comes out, then 2 jakes that came straight to me. I let them be and 5 minutes later 3 hens show up with 2 gobblers in tow. They come straight to the B-mobile and I miss a 15 yard shot. So I went from never missing to 2 misses in one week. Anybody have any advice for breaking out of the slump? I am changing guns in the morning.

Oh, brother shot one in an hour this morning with a text message that said I don't miss. We are hitting the same spot in the morning 130 yards from where he shot his.

guesswho

I'm guessing you have checked your gun.  After that the only advice I can give is to concentrate on the shot.  One other suggestion would be to shoot him at 30-35 yards instead of 15.  More room for shooter error at that distance.  Oh, and I think I missed one myself one time. 
If I'm not back in five minutes, wait longer!
BodonkaDeke Prostaff
MoHo's Prostaff
Do unto others before others do unto you
Official Member Of The Unofficial Firedup Turkey
Calls Prostaff

trackerbucky

Did you check that POI and POA are still the same?
I love golf.  It keeps a lot of people out of the turkey woods.

nativeks

Quote from: trackerbucky on April 18, 2014, 07:14:04 PM
Did you check that POI and POA are still the same?
Havent been able to verify, but other than being cleaned it hasn't been out of the safe. Didn't expect it to change. After Sunday I thought shooter error. After this afternoon it has me wondering whether its me or the gun. Going to find out tomorrow.

FL-Boss

If you spend some time patterning your gun, checking POA before season started.... then I feel sorry for you...that really a bummer.  We all have been there.    But if you are like many and just take the gun out of the case each year night before opening day and "wing it"  ..... I really have no sympathy for you.

Two friends of mine missed this year.. 20 and 30 yards...both were shooting 12ga guns with 2.25 oz of HEVI shot. No real excuse in my mind for missing when shooting a cannon like that... and pushing that much shot downrange. Did they ever test their guns? Nope..  but you bet they did when they starting missing.

preparation, preparation.... 

With that being said..  the first thing I would do is switch to hevi #7 ( your chances increase a lot just with that)  then spend some time behind the trigger if you havent already. Shoot poster board... adjust POA as needed. 

Punisher

You missed. It happens.  I went ten years without missing, and now I have missed at least one a year since then for the last four years but have still managed to tag out on longbeards.  Heck, I missed one this year at that range, but was able to connect with the follow up shot.  Anybody that has turkey hunted much and called in many turkeys has done it.  Especially at close range.  I missed two times on two different setups on opening morning a couple of years ago.  Talk about disheartening.  I blamed it on the gun and shells, but in reality it was me rushing my shots.  I still ended up tagging out though.  You just have to keep your head up and stay at it.  I would check my POA and POI though.

nativeks

Ive been sitting here replaying the shot over and over. I almost think it is all me, and I am aiming to high. I used to always aim right for where the neck meets the head. Tonight I aimed right at the head. If he ducked his head as I took the shot I likely shot right over the top of him. Especially at 15 yards, I wasn't working with a very big pattern. Hopefully I get to redeem myself in a few hours.

RutnNStrutn

What is your sight system? A ball at end of the barrel, adjustable fiberoptics, or a scope? Before I would hunt with that gun again, I would check it out at the range to make sure your sighting system wasn't out of whack. If you aren't using a scope, make sure that your head is completely down on the stock. Otherwise, you will shoot over their heads. Best of luck on the rest of the season, and getting back on track! :OGturkeyhead:

land cruiser

Used to wing it, then missed once.  Put a red dot and patterned my gun.  Guess what - not missing anymore :-)

nativeks

Quote from: RutnNStrutn on April 19, 2014, 12:19:25 AM
What is your sight system? A ball at end of the barrel, adjustable fiberoptics, or a scope? Before I would hunt with that gun again, I would check it out at the range to make sure your sighting system wasn't out of whack. If you aren't using a scope, make sure that your head is completely down on the stock. Otherwise, you will shoot over their heads. Best of luck on the rest of the season, and getting back on track! :OGturkeyhead:
Small fiber optic bead at the end of the barrel.

DirtNap647

I would start with checking poi ...if its on then chalk it up as a miss and go back at it

Gooserbat

I wouldn't take that gun hunting again until I checked the poi.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

nativeks

Well I am positive it is me. Tonight I belly crawled down a ditch that came off a creek to get in position on the same two gobblers I missed back on the 18th. Laid prone for 30 minutes until the bird came into range and cleared his hens. First shot looked like I killed him and he flopped. Then he got up and ran right at me for shot 2. Got him on shot 3. I am going to figure out wtf I am doing wrong this off season. Anyway the bird had an 8 1/2" beard that had mostly rotted off, and 1" sharp spurs with eastern coloration. I am done for the year. Time to concentrate on morels and fishing. Our numbers are low so I am not going for bird 2.

nativeks

RutnNStrutn

Quote from: nativeks on April 19, 2014, 12:40:41 AMSmall fiber optic bead at the end of the barrel.
If the POI is on at the range, then I would have to think that you just aren't getting your head all the way down on the stock before shooting. I have an older friend, who is a veteran turkey hunter that has killed well over 100 gobblers. He misses at least once a season from not getting all the way down on his stock, and thus shooting over the gobbler's head.
That's why I like my scope. Yeah, it's cost me a few birds by not being able to get on them quickly enough, but once they are in the scope, they are dead. :newmascot: