turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Forcing cone work

Started by 340_Dart, April 18, 2014, 05:47:45 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

340_Dart

Has anyone had their forcing cone lengthened/ polished? Considering having this done to my 21" 870 to improve patterns.

reynolds243

Did it to my sbe and came out great.

sixbird

I had it done with SBE II 24" bbl. Patterns suffered. In the next day or so I'll be trying different chokes to see if I can bring it back...

DirtNap647

I had negative results with it

Gooserbat

I had it done on both my 870s, but that was back before the days of htl.  It didn't help with the pattern size much but it did even them up and fill in the gaps in the pattern.  From what I read and talked to folks in the know they all have told me when shooting HTL it's not necessary and probably not the thing to do.  I don't know but I will say this.  I can get some great lead patterns out of my guns especially with old school/pre longbeard shells but with htl loads I always come up 30-40 pellets short of what most other folks are getting.
NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

sixbird

O.k., so, sorted it all out...Was able to get phenomenally tight patterns at 20 yds. from 3" Mag. Blends, 2 oz. and Down N Dirty outdoors (Indian Creek) Haymaker .670. 20 yd. is about 7-8 inches and the 40 yd. uniform and good coverage. I didn't count pellets since I was late for an Easter gathering, but PLENTY good for hunting. The wad cup imbedded itself in the target at 20 yds almost in center of pattern...Happy, happy, happy!