OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Pole-axed a pair...

Started by youngun15, March 26, 2014, 02:08:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

youngun15

Got in the woods a little late this morning and spooked two hens out of a tree so i just sat down not wanting to spook any more. about 730 after not hearing a peep, all hell breaks loose. About 300 yards away I hear hens fighting and multiple gobblers hammering away at them. I haul  in that direction and get to within 100 yards of them. Still making a racket but not nearly as much as before. As I'm inching closer a Tom gobbles directly at my 4 o'clock so I go to the ground to stay out of his view. By then I heard the "circus coming to town" at my 12 but I can't see them due to a massive oak which had fallen down. I used this to my advantage and ninja'd up to the log to use as cover and support for my gun. No sooner had I gotten my gun into position the hens began filing into the small open patch, 8 total.(recently cut and new grass was sprouting, just to give some scenery) It was about 45 yards from me to the end of the small plot so I knew If old tom stepped in there he'd be mine. The hens were steady heading right to me and the lead hen was within 5 yards of me before I saw the FIRST Tom. Then came a second, then a third, then fourth, fifth, and sixth. Gobbling at every sound the hens made. As I was watching all 6 in full strut I realized they were all two year olds, but nobody gets a free pass. I picked out the outlier who was furthest away from any other turkeys and settle the red dot on his head, the gobbler over my shoulder boomed and scared me so bad I almost had a heart attack. He was within 20 yards but had palm fronds between us. Two more gobblers answered from where the larger group came from making a total of 9 gobblers. I regrouped and resettled the red dot on my previously determined target. I cut sharply at them and was answered by gobbles from all around and my target looked up for the hen with the attitude and I pulled the trigger. The bird didn't even flop a single time. I stayed put watching everything unfold as hens scattered and gobblers flew through the pine and hardwood bottom. I look back at the end of the field and to my surprise here comes another Tom at a dead run to my already dead bird at 30 steps. As I said before, there are no free passes so he got obliged as well. Apparently he had a death wish.

First bird:
20.4 lbs
3/4" spurs
9.5" beard

Second:
18.8 lbs
1" spurs
9" beard

Adding to my never ending turkey mount:

boomer

sadkins

Congrats

Elite Energy 35
Matthews Z7 Extreme
PSE X Force 7

DirtNap647

congrats like that tail fan mount

alloutdoors

tomstopper

TJK68

Great story, and a great job! Sounds like you had a dream hunt, Congrats!

JALA Strut

Great story...Congrats on the double!

jblackburn

Congrats! Cool mount as we'll!
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

COssman14

Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Why shoot a 3.5"? Because they don't make a 4".