OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: 8054 km later, 2014 Georgia/Florida turkey hunt  (Read 4621 times)

Offline Charley B

8054 km later, 2014 Georgia/Florida turkey hunt
« on: April 14, 2014, 06:59:02 PM »
(re-post from our team hunting stories thread)

Just came back from a awesome road trip in the USA.  I have way to much things to say about this adventure, so I’ll just focus on the hunt.
I left Québec driving by myself on March 17, got to Florida by the 18 on late afternoon.  I went to Zephyr hills to meet up with a contact that I made on a hunting forum.  Rick and I meet at the Green Swamp WMA campground.  I did hunt this WMA and the Rich Loam WMA for 8 days following the precious tips given by Rick.  It came close to seal the deal 3 times, but I had no luck to see the birds nearby but Rick killed a nice one.

Those birds are far from all other sub-species that I hunted, they really don’t talk much, they often comes totally silently and they seems to be very wise. 
I saw a lot of gators and snakes, a hog, bobcat, armadillo, possum etc…  For a northern boy like me, it was hunting in the jungle!
My hunting partner landed at Orlando airport the 28, I took him and went to Georgia for a 4 day hunt on some WMA.  At the Savanah’s Bass pro shop, we meet a guy who invited both of us to hunt some lands that he lease.  He said our odds would be higher there than on the WMA’s. So we accepted right away!
First morning was windy, after some run and gunning, we decided to set up and wait for a while.  Good old Lynch’s box call and Avian X/DSD decoys drew a tom in range silently in full strut.  My friend took that true limb hanger.

Next day, on another property, I called in two toms in range.  A text book hunt. Nice 1’’ spurs.

We had Maple syrup to offer like any true Canuk would do.

On April 2, we head back to Florida.  We had booked a guided hunt on public and private land from April 3-6.
We tried Ocala WMA, it came close for both of us to kill a bird there, but again, even if they were close, we were unable to have a shot on them.  There is thick stuff when you hunt those swamps.
I finally got my luck on a old bird in a oak savanah bush, he circled us, and I’ve been able to slide on the other side of the tree to have a shot without being spotted by the bird.  I had a 4’’x4’’ window to aim for the head trough a scrub patch, I don’t know who I did that, but it worked.
20 pound, 1 3/8’’ and 10.25’’ beard, guide said it’s a whooper for sure.

The next morning, after some epic misses, my friend killed his tom on the fifth shot.  We still not sure why the first 3 shots hit low (we saw the dirt dust as he was shooting).  He loaded back his shotgun, and after a while, the same tom came back following a hen.  After two other shot, bird was dead!  He had a borrowed shotgun, so maby that’s why he missed that much, god knows…. But Hek, the bird was dead!

It turned out to be also a monster bird! Close to 20 pound, 1.5’’ spurs and a 10.5’’ beard!!!

Larry, the guide said that out of a hundred bird taken by himself or his clients, 1-2 would be that big.  So surely, we were VERRY lucky in Florida, obviously you don’t choose wich tom to shoot.

So ours wild turkey grand slam is done, we will look forward for a royal slam next spring….
Gotta say a HUGE thank’s to Rick, Mike and Larry!  You guys mad two Canuks very happy!
We will be back in Florida before long!

Charley

Offline Redfish

Re: 8054 km later, 2014 Georgia/Florida turkey hunt
« Reply #1 on: April 14, 2014, 08:29:48 PM »
 Awesome hunt and beautiful pictures. I live in Florida and I have to say you did really well on some big birds. Congratulations.
John 3:16

Offline boomer

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2014, 10:55:06 AM »
Congrats on some great birds!!

Offline tomstopper

• Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #3 on: April 16, 2014, 10:12:38 PM »
Awesome. Congrats on some fine birds and wonderful memories made....

Offline steinea286

« Reply #4 on: May 01, 2014, 10:25:05 AM »
Great pictures. What a memorable trip! I look forward to completing a grand slam in my future!

Offline DirtNap647

• Paintbrush Beard
« Reply #5 on: May 06, 2014, 07:46:42 PM »
Congrats great pics