Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Longbeard 6s, Benelli SBE II, Indian creek .665 , pure gold .670, wrights .650

Started by Borden811, April 14, 2014, 03:15:25 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Borden811

I finally had a chance to shoot the longbeards today, and see what they would do from my SBE II. Everyone says the Benelli guns don't pattern well, due to their "tight" barrels. Mine never shot lead all that fantastic, but it was a shooter from day one with hevi shot. Well, that's all changed. I had to sight in my micro dot, so some of the patterns are off poa, but you'll get a good idea. All shots were at 41 yards lasered with my rangefinder. I also shot some hevi 13 7s for comparison.

Pure Gold .670 with the LBs in 3.5 in 6s 182 in the 10" circle

Pure Gold .670 with Hevi 13 3.5 in 7s. 300 in the 10" circle

Indian Creek BDS .665 with the LBs 3.5 in 6s  269 in the 10" circle

Indian creek BDS .665 with Hevi 13 3.5 in 7s. 305 in the 10" circle

Wright's No. 3 .650 with the LBs 3.5 in 6s  275 in the 10" circle

Those are some wicked lead patterns for sure! However one thing was evident during my testing. While the longbeards shoot fantastic patterns, I still give the edge to hevi shot. My targets were hung on a frame made of 1/8 square steel tubing. The lead 6s flattened when they hit, and merely flaked the paint off. The hevi 13 7s put a crater in the steel approximately the depth of the #7 pellet. However, inside 40 yards, no turkey walking this earth will ever know the difference!

nyhunter

Those are some great patterns  right there, I hope my SBE2 shoots the Win. L B's that good.

the Ward

Nice patterns! I particularly like the way the pure gold/h-13 7s combo looks.   :icon_thumright:

Borden811

Yep, the pure gold throws a nice even pattern. Even with the LBs it wasn't as dense, but it was even.

Grunt-N-Gobble

Those are some nice patterns.  I like the ICBD choke with both loads.  And your right........... the Hevishot is going to carry more energy than the lead, plus with it being harder, it will smack a gobbler harder than lead.  But you'll be good with either shell.

learn2hide

shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

beagler

Never Misses

WyoHunter

If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Longshanks

Interesting looking at how the POI changes with every choke /shell.  Interesting the difference in the IC BDS POA/POI from shell to shell. Went from high to low. Allot of my guns I have had to choose a shell, sight in, and shoot one shell. Awesome patterns with allot of options. My IC BDS shoots way high right with all HTL shells. Those 3.5 hevi 7 patterns are definitely the most even with less gaps.

dfresh55

Byhalia

~ Listen to the Wind ~    http://customprocalls.com/

Gooserbat

NWTF Booth 1623
One of my personal current interests is nest predators and how a majority of hunters, where legal bait to the extent of chumming coons.  However once they get the predators concentrated they don't control them.

Borden811

I wish that one of these chokes would shoot both loads to the same poi. It's hard to pick just one. It would be nice to be able to switch back and forth if I wanted, without having to resight the gun!