OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Winchester ammunition  (Read 2621 times)

Offline Fastcat

Winchester ammunition
« on: April 13, 2014, 09:04:14 PM »
Winchester has for a long time started their new load development with 12 gauge.  However when the new development becomes the new "standard" it is applied to all their offerings (such as the High Velocity line).   By this reasoning could we one day see a 10 gauge Longbeard?

Offline Rockhound

• The Boss Gobbler
Re: Winchester ammunition
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 09:38:31 PM »
I hope I'm wrong but No we will not see a 10 gauge longbeard

Offline M R Ducks

« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 11:45:27 AM »
I doubt it.... but I'm looking for a gauge reducer.  I have no desire to shoot a 3.5 12 gauge shell in a light 12 gauge gun anyway.  I have patterned 3 inch LBs out of a Beretta Xtrema 2 with a .671 hevi-shot choke, and a Stoeger M-200 with a .656 hevi-shot choke.  One word - awesome.  Not sure a 10, or expensive shells add anything other than weight (more to carry, and less in your wallet respectively).  The little Stoeger with that combo really impressed.  Both guns need optics to be effective.  At 25 yards there were only a couple of pellets outside of a 4" circle.  I can see guys missing.  I used #5s BTW.

Offline Yoder409

• 2023 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Limbhanger
  • Turkeys are ignorant.
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2014, 07:24:58 PM »
Winchester already discontinued the best 10 gauge turkey load they ever developed in the 2 oz. Supreme #6 lead.    :angry9:

I don't see them doing a whole lot of catering to the 10 gauge crowd on the LB's. 
PA elitist since 1979

The good Lord ain't made a gobbler I can't kill.  I just gotta be there at the right time.....  on the day he wants to die.

Offline Devastator

• Longbeard
« Reply #4 on: April 17, 2014, 09:40:11 PM »
Winchester already discontinued the best 10 gauge turkey load they ever developed in the 2 oz. Supreme #6 lead.    :angry9:

I don't see them doing a whole lot of catering to the 10 gauge crowd on the LB's.
I killed a pile of birds with Win.1300 fps copper plated,that sent me to fed copper plated 6's at 1300 fps with a flight control wad that,finally got me to try Fed HW 7's,and there is no turning back.Them winys were an awesome shell!!!

Offline steveo

« Reply #5 on: April 19, 2014, 05:55:58 PM »
I only wish they would bring back the XX # 6s of old !!!! They are the best load in my world! BPS with GT 685 throws awesome patterns out to 40+ all day everyday .... Many a gobbler has died with that combo!.

Offline WildTigerTrout

• Longbeard
  • "Big Woods" NC Pennsylvania Public Land Boss
« Reply #6 on: April 19, 2014, 06:38:30 PM »

I agree those were good loads. I have four boxes hoarded away myself. I also agree that I don't think we will see a LB load for the Big 10.
Deer see you and think you are a stump. The Old Gobbler sees a stump and thinks it is YOU!