OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Tough birds  (Read 2417 times)

Offline harvester

• Double Beard
Tough birds
« on: April 13, 2014, 08:54:06 PM »
I've been on birds everyday since season has been open and only have manage to kill one so far. I've either got too close or they just refuse to fly down. These birds are very educated, roost in different spots every single day. Sometimes a 1/2 mile away. I've tried some light tree talk and that just makes them stay in the tree longer. They act like they have been hunted HARD all season, like an old veteran long beard. I'm to the point that I don't want to hunt anywhere else until I kill one of the birds. They are 2 of them and they will roost 200 yards apart but will get back together sometime during the day. I've got a couple tricks up my sleeve that I hope will work. It doesn't help that they are being hunted everyday and something is up on one small tract of land. I kinda think they have corn out but I don't want to trespass to find out. I'm gonna give them about a week and try them again. Hopefully it will green up.

Offline Moore

• Longbeard
Re: Tough birds
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 10:45:49 PM »
yeah I would stay a way from the tree calls. I would wait and with a few yelps and maybe some kee kee. if they been hunted hard they most likely haven't heard that throwin at em
[

Offline ElkTurkMan

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Longbeard
« Reply #2 on: April 14, 2014, 12:27:33 PM »
My birds have been pretty much the same.  I should have killed one on Friday, but I set wrong at cost me dearly.  We have had a coupl of years of marginal hatches the past two years here and that means fewer younger birds and the birds we have, have a few seasons under there belt.  You sure can tell it big time.   

Offline harvester

• Double Beard
« Reply #3 on: April 20, 2014, 09:05:40 PM »
We'll they are still kicking my butt!!! I've seen some stuff this year that I wouldn't believe if I didn't see it myself. Still got a lot of season left but at this rate I just don't know how it will end. Hopefully with 3 more dead birds.

Offline t_eagen13

« Reply #4 on: April 22, 2014, 09:27:49 PM »
Keep at em Dustin. You will find some luck sooner or later.

Offline theghost_03

« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2014, 01:46:38 PM »
Keep on plugging man!  Been out with my brother during his season this week and have had a tough go as well. Birds have been roosting in diff spots every day which for my territory is very strange. Literally hunted birds yesterday that put on 3 miles in 2 hours.  Three gobblers were being drug every which direction by their hens.  It almost seems like the hens want nothing to do with their gobblers coming to another hen. I've thrown every call in the book at em. I have normally had really good luck with a fighting purr or cutting off the hens but to no avail thus far. My wife and I have our season starting up on Saturday and I have a little honey hole saved up with two mammoth Easterns! 
"In the spring we STRUT, and in the fall we RUT"
GOBBLER DOWN CUSTOM CALLS