OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Burris Fast Fire III

Started by chatterbox, January 05, 2014, 06:54:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

chatterbox

Alright men.

It's a frigid winter morning here in Central NH, so I figured I would write up a detailed review on my new favorite turkey gun sight, the Burris FFIII.

Initially, I ran with scopes on my turkey guns, but never cared for the weight, and the narrow field of view.

I tried every single red dot on the market it seems. Truglo, BSA, Bushnell, EOTech, etc.
Of the above mentioned, the EOtech was the best. The flaws I found were the weight, and how high it sat on my gun. I had to get a comb raiser, which I didn't like. It is, and will always be, a high quality sight, just not something I cared for.
Then I tried a FFII. It was a good sight, but the locking screws were a pain to deal with, making sighting in a 2 person job. My son has one on his 20 ga, and he loves it!

Enter the FFIII........
When I first got it put on with the 336 Marlin base, I was shocked at how low it sat. It is so light, and with it being low, target acquisition is almost immediate!
I took it to the range, and dialed it in at 10 yards with dove loads. The click adjustments for elevation and windage made this a quick operation.
I stepped back to 30 yards and sent a turkey round down range, and was dead center! I put up another sheet of paper, and shot one more to confirm accuracy at 40, and it also hit dead center!
2 shells to confirm accuracy is pretty economical in my book!

I chose the 8 MOA dot just because I find it easier to see in sunny conditions than the 3. That is just to small for my liking.
Now onto the hunt. Shooting paper is one thing, thunderchickens are totally different.

I had a bird coming in from a ways off. I finally saw him running in, and once he was behind a tree, I brought the gun up and waited. He stepped out, and I put the dot right on him, and let the big 825 feed at about 25 yards.
BOOM! Not even a flinch. I have never been so satisfied with a sight system as I have with the Fast Fire series! The 8 MOA dot is perfect for turkey hunting, and if you put the dot on his neck, he will die.
They are tough as nails, waterproof, and an absolute breeze to dial in. Burris listened to us, and fixed the very small issues with the FFII, which is still a fantastic sight in my opinion, but they made the FFIII truly the best sight you can put on your turkey gun!

If you are looking for a  tough reliable red dot, and are willing to spend a little more, look no further than the Fast Fire series. Best bang for your buck! 

ericjames

remmy1187

Thanks chatterbox, I just ordered one yesterday for my 11-87 20 gauge.  Cant wait to get it on!

DirtNap647

I have to agree the fastfire sights are just flat out great  :icon_thumright:

d.winsor

My only shortcoming with the fastfire 3 is that it does not come with a scope cover to protect the lens from debre.  I know it came with a plastic cover but both ends are open and does not protect anything.

d.winsor

Burris has since sent me a cover with clear plastic lenses in each end.