OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Federal HW 7s brass problem?  (Read 3989 times)

Offline Gobbler2577

Federal HW 7s brass problem?
« on: April 13, 2014, 01:35:37 PM »
I did some patterning today based on the popularity of the kicks .690 and fed HW7s.  My numbers were a little low and I really didn't think much of it until I picked up my hulls.  The brass completely failed.  The entire head of the brass was seperated from the hull and on one it was actually gone.  Anyone else had this happen?  It really scared me a little when I saw it.
I've tried to post pictures but it keeps saying the file is too large.

Offline jlewis4390

Re: Federal HW 7s brass problem?
« Reply #1 on: April 13, 2014, 02:02:04 PM »
If u are posting from a phone then download the taptalk app that's what I had to do

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

Offline Rockhound

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #2 on: April 13, 2014, 09:40:15 PM »
Crimped to deep, or loaded to hot. Call Federal asap

Offline Gobbler2577

« Reply #3 on: April 14, 2014, 09:48:05 AM »
hopefully the pics will load now.  I had another box that was a different lot number and I thought I would shoot one of those and see what happened and it was fine.  I have shot four of the five from the "bad" box and all four have had brass failure to some extent.  Hopefully Federal will make it right.

Offline Gobbler2577

« Reply #4 on: April 14, 2014, 09:50:01 AM »
Another picture.

Offline M R Ducks

« Reply #5 on: April 14, 2014, 11:37:18 AM »
I have seen similar pictures on duckhuntingchat with factory waterfowl loads.  This is not a new problem with Federal hulls.  What I have heard is to try and twist the base - it you can - you have a problem.

I reload these hulls for waterfowl and give them a good twist test before reloading. 

Joe

Offline Gobbler2577

« Reply #6 on: April 14, 2014, 11:54:02 AM »
I called and left a message with federal and they called me back this morning.  They are sending UPS to pick up the hulls so they can inspect them and will either replace the ammo or send a check.  Of course none of that is really necessary to me, I just wanted them to know there was a problem.  Interestingly, the ones that failed at best put 152 pellets in the ten at 40 yards.  The one that didn't fail from a new box put 228 in the ten. 

Offline learn2hide

• Check out www.hunterslink.com "The Break TV" on f
    • HuntersLink and The Break
« Reply #7 on: April 14, 2014, 11:57:38 AM »
 :welcomeOG: by the way...it's serious business when you talk about a shell coming apart during a shot, glad you weren't hurt.  If you think about it, if the pressure was allowed to back out then it wouldn't have nearly the same Ke moving forward to shoot the shell properly not surprised the pattern was messed up...what was your lot#? Post it on here so others can check theirs...thanks
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

Offline Gobbler2577

« Reply #8 on: April 14, 2014, 01:28:15 PM »
I don't have the box with me, but I will certainly put the lot number on here for others to see.  Good news in all this is that there was no damage to the gun or me, and Federal seems to be doing the right thing in light of it all. 

Offline Gobbler2577

« Reply #9 on: April 14, 2014, 10:14:17 PM »
lot number 54AZ491 for any that may be interested.

Online Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #10 on: April 15, 2014, 11:33:22 PM »
I would contact federal , they will likely exchange those out for you
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

Offline Gobbler2577

Federal HW 7s brass problem?
« Reply #11 on: April 29, 2014, 08:27:08 PM »
Update:  Federal sent two boxes of HW 7's to replace the one bad box.  Gotta love a company that stands behind their stuff.  Above and beyond as far as I'm concerned.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Offline Rem Man

« Reply #12 on: April 30, 2014, 11:43:29 AM »
      Hey guys had the same problem with the same lot number last week it seems that these were bought from sportsmans guide. Ihave 16 boxes of these shells. I got a call back from federal and they are getting sent back. I shot one shell last week and had it fail, got some some pretty good powder burn and blow back on the right side of my face! The guy from federal was nice and polite! I'm glad I wasant hurt bad but it scared the hell out of me, my face and hand stung for 20 minutes. These shells shot lower numbers also. I think federal will make it right. My season starts sat and I have no shells! I think this is a serious issue and the lot number is from 2008! I just bought these several months ago to. I will keep you guys posted.

I love these shells so I hope fed will replace them! The one thing that upsets me is the gentleman stated that my issue was the first he heard of this but it seems that the member who posted his problem was before me   You mean to tell me that it wasant documented! I think the guy was well aware of the problem!!!