turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

H&R topper question

Started by Chris O, August 12, 2017, 08:33:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Chris O

I have a H&R Topper single shot 20Ga. it is probably around 35 to 40 years old.It is stamped on the top of the barrel Topper 3" 20 ga.My dad was told when he bought it that it would only shoot 2 3/4" inch shells so that is all I ever used .Anyone know if it is rated for 3" shells? I think it would be since it is stamped on the barrel and a 3"inch shell fits in the chamber.Thanks for any info

allaboutshooting

Quote from: Chris O on August 12, 2017, 08:33:27 AM
I have a H&R Topper single shot 20Ga. it is probably around 35 to 40 years old.It is stamped on the top of the barrel Topper 3" 20 ga.My dad was told when he bought it that it would only shoot 2 3/4" inch shells so that is all I ever used .Anyone know if it is rated for 3" shells? I think it would be since it is stamped on the barrel and a 3"inch shell fits in the chamber.Thanks for any info
I have an H&R Topper that  I purchased in the 1960s, marked "2 3/4 Full". I killed a lot of squirrels with that gun. I had the chamber lengthened to 3" at some point and it served as a turkey gun for a while.
Since your gun is marked as 3", it should be just fine but if you have any doubt, you can have a gunsmith look at it.
Those early guns did not have a firing pin block and if the hammer is struck it can go forward, strike the firing pin and go off, so be careful.
Otherwise, those guns are a joy to carry in the woods.
Thanks,
Clark
"If he's out of range, it just means he has another day and so do you."

Chris O

Thanks for the answer I think it would be marked 2 3/4 also.