OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: New to mouth calls and looking for feedback.  (Read 3792 times)

Offline Hoytbowhunter12

New to mouth calls and looking for feedback.
« on: April 10, 2014, 06:54:14 PM »
Hey guys I'm starting to learn to call with mouth calls and was hoping y'all could give me some feedback. So let's hear whatcha think good or bad.

http://youtu.be/hUkgad-hqIE

Offline Meatseeker

Re: New to mouth calls and looking for feedback.
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2014, 02:07:47 PM »
Let me first qualify by saying I am not a pro turkey caller!  So take my advice with a grain of salt.

Your calling is pretty good and certainly good enough to kill a turkey with.  In my opinion, you would be well suited to pick up the cadence of your yelps a little bit.  They seem a little slow.  I would also add in some clucking into your sequence.  Hens cluck constantly.  I thouht the first sequence of cutting you did was well done.

Keep up the good work!

Offline jblackburn

• Paintbrush Beard
    • Gooserbat Game Calls
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2014, 09:37:37 PM »
I think you'll be able to kill a bird.  I agree with the rhythm/cadence.  A bit slow on the second series.  Biggest thing is to keep a consistent rhythm.  There are real hens that sound a lot worse than you, but they have consistent rhythm.

Also, try adjusting how much air you are pushing under the call.  Some of your calls sounded very "forced".  It took me a while to learn that it does not take a lot of air pressure to make good sounds. you can get the same effect with more tongue pressure with less air.
Gooserbat Games Calls Staff Member

www.gooserbatcalls.com

Genesis 27:3 - Now then, get your weapons—your quiver and bow—and go out to the open country to hunt some wild game for me.

L.F. Cox

« Reply #3 on: April 19, 2014, 01:29:36 PM »
Your calling would work for jake or gobbler yelping....I'd suggest getting a different diaphragm that one sounds to hard to blow for you.

Offline ky double lung

« Reply #4 on: April 25, 2014, 04:54:37 PM »
Your calling would work for jake or gobbler yelping....I'd suggest getting a different diaphragm that one sounds to hard to blow for you.
I agree sounds more like slow run of jake or tom yelp increase cadence and apply a little more pressure to get higher note...  Best of luck!

Offline Marc

• Double Beard
« Reply #5 on: May 03, 2014, 01:49:12 AM »
You have the right sounds...

Listen to some sound files of live hens, and compare to yours...  Recording is a great way to evaluate and learn from your own calling.

I grew up duck hunting, but my theory remains similar for each...  I don't care how good the human caller is, I would rather imitate live birds...  Download some sound files of live hens calling, imitate them, and then compare...  That is how I learn the quickest...

And, when I am hunting, if I hear a dominant hen early on, I will pay attention to her cadence and tone, and try to emulate that later on after the hens have left those poor toms...  Those early mornings when the toms are henned up, I tend to really pay attention to the hens...  And I have found, that emulating them sometimes pizzes them off, and they might come looking for a fight (with a tom in tow).

I was out hunting a couple weeks ago, and heard one of the worst calls I have ever heard... No air control, calls cut off in mid note, way too raspy and throaty...  That caller took a bird from right under me...  Turned out to be a live hen. :P
Did I do that?

Fly fishermen are born honest, but they get over it.

Offline n2deer

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #6 on: May 21, 2014, 12:00:41 AM »
I think you'll be able to kill a bird.  I agree with the rhythm/cadence.  A bit slow on the second series.  Biggest thing is to keep a consistent rhythm.  There are real hens that sound a lot worse than you, but they have consistent rhythm.

Also, try adjusting how much air you are pushing under the call.  Some of your calls sounded very "forced".  It took me a while to learn that it does not take a lot of air pressure to make good sounds. you can get the same effect with more tongue pressure with less air.

I agree, forced is the word that crossed my mind. Loosen up a little bit(throat) if that makes sense or use less air. You might could run a different call better. Find one that you dont have to make it sound right. Alot of time to be a better caller is finding a call that works better for you. Sounds like you are trying to hard.

Im not perfect either, just trying to help using the best way I know to describe it.