turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Supreme Turkey Loads

Started by gwa, April 09, 2014, 05:22:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

howl

I'd clean 'em out on sixes and I don't even use that load.

Longshanks

Yup, those are the old school ones with the writing in Gold.

d.winsor

Quote from: gwa on May 24, 2014, 01:17:29 PM

gwa what gun and choke and choke restriction are you shooting to have a 30 yard and in with those shells.  I have two 870's and SX3 using a briley straight rifled choke, two ported and one unported, I get solid 40 and 45 yard kill patterns using those shells.

gwa

Citori
Sumtoy .675
116 hits 10" circle or @ 35% shot
It will take a turkey but my gun shoots LB's so much better. I was trying to find a good use for them as I got 4.5 boxes with the gun. 23 steps it will do over 300 hits or @ 90%, I was going to run these on my short range barrel. Overkill maybe but that is what it is all about.

Denny

gwa

I have to apologize, I just went back through the lead section and my "30 and in" load is not that bad at all. I am kind of new to all the patterning with my gun.
Back when the 835 was introduced, I bought one and the shell of choice was the Federal 2.25 3.5" shells. My turkey hunting pattern was 15 in the head and neck at 30 yds. I was pretty much living by that rule since then. The older fellow that got me into turkey hunting said "It only takes one in the head and neck." I thought I had the most wicked killer out there with 15.
Now I get on here and see that there is so much more that can be done to improve my patterns. Choke and shell choices. I am still overwhelmed, LOL.
Thanks for bearing with me and the help.
Denny

Lukas929

Being a run an gun public land hunter I never sit in a blind or have the luxury of sitting over a green field, for me I'd rather a nice even pattern about 20" wide as I most of the time am in an akward shooting position usually hunched over my shotgun trying to get a sight on a turkey's head or twisted around a tree. I'll take a few pellets in the breast to get the kill, so in other words the 10" circle is overrated in my book you do not need more then 6-8 pellets in the head an neck to ethically kill a turkey.

Lukas929

Question, these are the shells you guys are talking about right? They are not made anymore from what I'm understanding but they have the 3.5" on the shelf like they are still stocking/producing them right next to the double x but the 3" was kind of tucked away by itself.

Lukas929

gwa

Sure looks like them..... Snag em

d.winsor

There were some at walmart here also, I would say it is stock left over from somewhere, once they are gone it may be hard to find more.  That is dirt cheap for that shell.

stinkpickle

They should still be making them.  Just ignore labels on the box and go by specs and part numbers. 

art338wm

Please check your PMs I'm interested in buying them

Longshanks

The easiest way I have found to distinguish between the HV and XX shells is the ounce weight of the 3" shells. The HV old and new have 1 3/4 ounce of shot in a black shell. The XX have 2 ounces of shot in a red shell. The old HV went on sale at Walmart for 9.99 a few years back. Allot of folks stocked up on them including me. I bought 8-10 box's of 1 3/4 6's. The old ones are tuff to find but the new ones are the same.  All of the Win 3" 6's are the most consistent loads out of several of my turkey guns.  The 1 3/4 , 1 7/8, and 2 ounce 3" 6's are the best lead turkey loads I've hunted with.  Great to 40 and not overly tight inside 25.

MossRem

Quote from: surehuntsalot on April 10, 2014, 09:40:54 PM
one of the best "ever" turkey shells made

I agree. The 3 inch Supreme would pattern well no matter what gun or choke I shot it through. Me, I like a consistent spread out to 35 yards with no splotches and holes in the pattern. Both the 3 inch Supreme and the 2 and 3/4 Federal 5 would always do that.