Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Getting some birds located for PA

Started by bowmike, April 02, 2014, 08:38:06 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

bowmike

Started scouting april 1. First morning of scouting less than 150 yards from my house found the tom I played around with last june after season. He is roosted about 80-100 yards away from a group of hens and jakes. Hoping to narrow him down a bit.

Went out this am, and heard another gobbler, as I hear him yesterday as well, about 300 yards away from the other bird. WIll be scouting hard, and locating their roosting areas. Hope they don't change too much. WIll be taking out my nephew for the youth hunt, and hope to get him on a nice tom. WIll have to pick the one with the easiest access as he is just a little guy at 8 years old. Season is looking promising.

Stock and scope are both put on. Ordered a few more Hevi Shot shells off of a member on here. WIll be sighting in the scope this weekend hopefully. Hope to get it really close with small loads, then only have to shoot one round of my hevi shot. Stuff is really expensive to play around with.

Terry

Sounds like your on a good path to long beard success!

bowmike

Scouted a new area today on the way to work. I think this is going to be the tom I will try for on first day.

http://youtu.be/A9fi0QrEobU

Going to go back Saturday with just a camera and binos, to see what he does once he is on the ground. I used the gobble call just to pinpoint his roost so I do not get to close on Saturday. No other calling was done. I got that info, and got back out before it got daylight. Could still here him gobbling on the roost after I left so I didn't bump him.

I am thinking he is either coming off the roost to an open area for strutting, or coming off and walking to a row of pines where I believe his hens are roosting. Will be taking some intel for sure on this guy.

Had another bird gobble about 150 or so yards away from this one. Will be checking him out when I get a bit more time. Man I cant wait for May 3rd