Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

shot pattern

Started by gobblinfever, March 30, 2014, 08:32:43 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

gobblinfever

I shot a shell at 20 yards today and patterned awesome. Didn't shoot at 25 but was wonder I if it made a big difference in my pattern by 5 yards
Nothing better than turkey huntin

mfd1027

I doubt you'll see much difference in 20-25 yd. patterns.   Have you shot it at 40?   That's what most folks pattern at.  You'll see a lot more pattern abnormalities at that shot distance. 
Dan

gobblinfever

Quote from: mfd1027 on March 30, 2014, 11:08:05 PM
I doubt you'll see much difference in 20-25 yd. patterns.   Have you shot it at 40?   That's what most folks pattern at.  You'll see a lot more pattern abnormalities at that shot distance.
yea got 45 pellets in neck and head area at 40

mfd1027

Sounds like you're in good shape.   If you want to shoot again just to be sure set up a big piece of paper like a 3x3 and shoot at a dot.  After you shoot circle the densest portion of the pattern with a 10" circle.  If your dot isn't in the center of the circle (probably won't be) you've got some sight adjusting to do.  Also, count the number of hits in the 10" circle.   As a general rule of thumb you want at least 100 pellets in the circle and you want the hits evenly spaced without any big holes in the shot pattern.   100 is a minimum but most decent shotguns with a good aftermarket choke will shoot 150- 200 hits in a 10" circle.  I know it sounds a little complicated but it's not.   There's tons of info here in the gun section and online.  Just google shotgun patterning.   
Dan

learn2hide

Quote from: mfd1027 on March 31, 2014, 11:11:19 PM
Sounds like you're in good shape.   If you want to shoot again just to be sure set up a big piece of paper like a 3x3 and shoot at a dot.  After you shoot circle the densest portion of the pattern with a 10" circle.  If your dot isn't in the center of the circle (probably won't be) you've got some sight adjusting to do.  Also, count the number of hits in the 10" circle.   As a general rule of thumb you want at least 100 pellets in the circle and you want the hits evenly spaced without any big holes in the shot pattern.   100 is a minimum but most decent shotguns with a good aftermarket choke will shoot 150- 200 hits in a 10" circle.  I know it sounds a little complicated but it's not.   There's tons of info here in the gun section and online.  Just google shotgun patterning.

X2

Also check out the patterns section of the forum for more info...if your aim vs impact was pretty good at 40 and 20 when you shot today you are probably OK on the sights with that shell but there can be differences load to load so don't assume...safest bet is to shoot a few options shells/chokes and pick the best performer
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

gobblinfever

Thanks for the info guys  :)