OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Super X2 .660 Rob Roberts Federal Heavyweight 7's and Winchester LongBeard 5's  (Read 12336 times)

Offline learn2hide

• Check out www.hunterslink.com "The Break TV" on f
    • HuntersLink and The Break
First, neither one of these loads (3.5" 2oz #5 Win LongBeard, or Federal Heavyweight 3.5" 1 7/8oz #7) patterned even close to the numbers I get out of this set up from Hevi 13 #6 or Hevi 13 #7...however they both performed more than well enough to kill a turkey.  I hit the range today despite it being cold.  It was 45-47 degrees with almost no wind.  I shot from a measured 40 yards at a local range and didn't worry too much about aim.  I started with a clean barrel and swabbed multiple times between shots.  Here are the results: Win Longbeard #5 shot 152 and 169 in 10" at 40 yards...certainly better than normal lead loads.  Federal Heavyweight #7 did 169 and 184 in 10" but to me seems to have a few holes in the pattern.  Considering I have put up 220 with Hevi13 #6 and 270 with Hevi13 #7 I doubt I'll be switching anything over.  I do enjoy shooting and experimenting with different loads. These are still all killing patterns I figure posting them might help someone else.  What do you guys think? Also I have a question for anyone that wants to answer...in your opinion the 47 degree temperature today vs say 75 degree temps in a week or two do you think that's a big factor or a minor one in these numbers?
shoot first, measure spurs later   
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

Offline d.winsor

Choke used for longbeard #5's is too tight, to be fair I think you should open it up to .665 to .670.  Just my opinion.  I don't think temperature has anything to do with killing a turkey, I have patterned when it was cold, 32 degrees and I have patterned when it was warm, 75 degrees +.  Never made a difference to the turkey.  I think a killing pattern, is a killing pattern at any temperature, Maybe it has something to do with numbers I don't know, I don't count holes.  I am not saying that the longbeard pattern was a bad pattern by any means.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 12:45:21 AM by d.winsor »

Offline Loose Wire

I agree with Winsor, choke likely is to tight for the LB #5.

The SX2 is overbored to .740-742.  I would try .670 or .675 choke diameter with the #5 in that barrel, especially with the long shot column in the 3 1/2" hull.

Might try Trulocks, less expensive then Roberts, until you get it figured out.  Or exchange if Roberts will.  Or, throw the .660 in your "box 'o stuff" like some of us would.

Offline learn2hide

well here's the #6 target from my Hevi 13 work last April...no problems here, pretty clear why I'd stay with the Hevi 13.  Like I said, I always like shooting different things if for no other reason than to solidify my previous choices.  I'm not going to change anything as my goal was to see what the LB would do in my current set up not to necessarily buy more chokes and try to dial it in.  Interestingly the IC tube I had in 2013 in both .665 and .675 choke shot almost identical numbers to the LB and HWT from today with the Hevi13 #6 and #7...the Roberts .660 is what finally produced the numbers.  And numbers are not the only thing...but it does prove how finicky some set ups can be.  Thanks for your thoughts.
Don't miss "The Break" our new outdoor TV show featuring the www.HuntersLink.com team on the Hunt Channel Ch.266 on Dish Network.  All episodes can be seen on Hunt Channel on ROKU and streaming devices and on the website as well...Enjoy and thanks for the support!

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
My bps inv+(same bore as your gun) is pretty temperature sensitive for the best patterns. It patterns well enough for hunting at any temp but does best at 65-70 degrees and up. That's with a 22" barrel length and pb loads. I think you"ll definitely pick up numbers wise in warmer temps, and it should help even out the patterns a bit also. So yea, warmer  temperatures ought to up your 10" count, and that choke may be a little tight for 3.5s, but constriction is only part of it, it also depends on the chokes internal layout. But it sounds like it will pattern well enough to take a turkey with any of the  loads you have patterned. Good luck this season!

Offline Twowithone

• Longbeard
Patterns look good to me Id hunt with any three of them. :firefighter:
09-11-01 Some Gave Something. 343 Gave All F.D.N.Y.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
  x2

Offline beagler

• Double Beard
  x2
X3
Never Misses

Offline DirtNap647

• Paintbrush Beard
 :OGturkeyhead:

Offline surehuntsalot

• Long Spur Gobbler
  • Mendenhall,Mississippi
good looking hunting patterns,they don't have to be super tight
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

Offline WyoHunter

• Double Beard
  • NRA Life Member
:icon_thumright:
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
I too have a couple of Robs tubes and hes very good about swapping out and helping you find what works,i ALSO shot the fed HW #7 shot with even less acceptable results as what u got(135 in  10") anyways the trade off is i got 336 in a 10" CIRCLE WITH a Roberts .650 choke ...HOWEVER at 40 yards i was picking the #7 hevi shot out of 5/8 particle board whereas #7 fed HW was COMPLETELY BLOWING THRU the 5/8 board @ not only 40 but 50 yds as well....so i hope to find a happy medium similar to yours @ around i believe u said 184 in a 10" circle???? ifn i van come up with that im a haaaaaapy camper!!!! Wat choke and constriction did u say u used to get yr #s on yr fed HW #7 shot?

Offline learn2hide

Bink these targets were all shot in 2014 with a Rob Roberts .660 choke in my Super X2.  I have also recently shot a SumToy .675 see my other posts for those patterns.  I have only shot LongBeards and Hevi 13 thus far this year...  I haven't shot the Fed HW through the SumToy yet.  I will still hunt with either the .660 Rob Roberts or the .675 SumToy I think they are both solid and consistent and have both been good to work with as far as discussing options and offering to help. 

Offline bcknuts

I got just a little better out of win Longbeard with the same set up. Win sx2 choke RR .660 win Longbeard XR 31/2" #6 was warmer.       Kevin
Kevin

Offline BINK McCARTY

• The Boss Gobbler
  • Beak first in th' dirt...
IMO ifn Federal would  can the #5 lead,#6 flitestopper in their 3rd degree and do ALL 3 #5,#6,and #7 in Heavyweight up the 3 1/2" load to 2 1/4oz.of shot 30% #5, 30% #6, and 40% #7 and test it both with and without the flitestopper wad and go from there i believe this would be the new "GOLD STANDARD" of turkey loads....im thinkin even further ifn they would do away from flitestopper wad and go to a system similar to the Win. LB XR's....that would be money...OR just simply up the load in HVYWTS #5,#6,#7 to either 2 0r 2 1/8oz of shot instead of 1 7/8oz....at 1300fps....either way...HAPPY HUNTIN!!!!