OG shop member gallery
OldGobbler
          bullet Forum Board      bullet Pushpin Turkey Call Blog      bullet Advertising Info     

OG Gear Store
PATCHES

Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Author Topic: Im somewhat confuzzed...  (Read 6966 times)

Offline mathews bowhunter

Re: Im somewhat confuzzed...
« Reply #15 on: March 29, 2014, 10:08:26 AM »
I guess I could do a deep clean and try it again. However the temps were in the low 70s when I was shooting which I figured would have actually helped me out. I thought if the federals would shoot good I might try shooting a mag blend but with what it did there's no way I'm spending the money on a box of those. I'm not going to give up but I'm not taking it with me to the woods this year. If I could get 160 I'd be more than happy right now.

Offline the Ward

• 2024 SITE SUPPORTER
  • Double Beard
« Reply #16 on: March 29, 2014, 10:51:15 AM »
 Yea, with temps in the 70s, that's certainly not the problem. I definitely think a real good deep clean will bring up your numbers, but I don't think it will be a drastic improvement. Maybe polishing the barrel? I have not shot the fed heavy weight loads yet, so I don't have anything I can give you numbers wise. But the best lead load I tested was a fed fcw pb 5 out of that choke, so it will work  good with the fcw. I feel your pain, sometimes this stuff gets expensive and you try to go with a proven combo that works for everyone else then find out your gun doesn't like it. Been down that road myself ,lol! If all else fails try contacting kicks and ask them. I'm not sure but maybe they would exchange it for a different constriction? Might be worth a try. I am no 10 expert, just getting back in the 10 gauge game after a 20 year hiatus, so maybe some members with a lot more experience with this gauge than I will have some better  solutions. Good luck and keep us updated with your progress.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2014, 11:08:01 AM by the Ward »

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #17 on: March 30, 2014, 12:11:26 AM »
You got to clean the bore out with a solvent on every shot , that wad is very stiff , clean the choke out also , make sure there is ZERO oil or cleaner left in the bore

The number 6 hw is a different shell and shoots different than the 7 ---
:wave:  OG .....DRAMA FREE .....

-Shannon

« Reply #18 on: March 30, 2014, 10:07:03 PM »
I always clean the bore before every shot. Seems legit to me because that's how I hunt. Clean bore before I go hunting. If I get to shoot I clean it before I go back. It just makes sense to me. I've seen people shoot 6's and 7's out of this choke and it perform :fud: a whole lot better than mine did. I was absolutely sick. I'll get back around to messing with it when I have time but for now I'm just going to carry my 870 and some winchester longbeards. I talked to my dad this morning and he saw 3 longbeards strutting together and heard 4 others gobbling!

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
« Reply #19 on: March 31, 2014, 10:20:05 PM »
You might have something going on with the bore of that gun

Look down it if the forcing cone is rough , or the bore has tooling marks on it , you might want to look into polishing out your bore - I don't recommend polishing bores to folks cause it's easy to screw it up , if you lived near me I could do it for you in 30 minutes , and trust me it will look like a mirror when I get done with it - the guys at the rhino choke factory taught me how to get a zero micron surface on a bore

Another theory is the barrel is shooting off , if you were shooting at a small piece of paper and the bulk  of the payload went a foot over the paper , this might explain why it shot such low numbers -- I'm not familiar with what's type of sights you have on your single barrel , but normally ..... If your shooting a single front bead on the narrow muzzle and sighting it with the back end  of the wider bore , I can predict a high shooting gun-- only a presumption .....  Shoot at a big piece of paper or cardboard on a windless day , and if your bore is mirror clean , I would be shocked if it shot anything less than 160 - the total payload on that shell is around 400 pellets , they got to be going somewhere

-Shannon

Offline TalksToTurkeys

• Longbeard
  • Lycoming Co. Pa.
« Reply #20 on: April 01, 2014, 01:05:22 AM »
I Had the same problem with my NEF SB2 24" 10ga.
I polished the barrel following VAHUNTER's procedure and noticed a big improvement in my patterns.

http://oldgobbler.com/Forum/index.php/topic,182.0.html

Offline deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #21 on: April 01, 2014, 11:46:35 AM »
That is not so bad. I have a H&R 32 inch factory full (.720) that I put a scope on this year. Getting it sighted in I used some Federal 2 oz #5's because they were really cheap. Wanna guess what I got in the 10 at 40 using them? A whopping 57 pellets!!! Only gets about 150 using Magblends. Gonna see about getting it threaded. Anybody know who to send it to?

Offline Rem Man

« Reply #22 on: April 01, 2014, 11:52:00 AM »
   SUMTOY!!!!

Offline deadbuck

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #23 on: April 01, 2014, 01:14:23 PM »
Does Sumtoy do trigger jobs on H&R also, or who do you recommend for that?

Offline Miburmanelly

« Reply #24 on: April 01, 2014, 04:04:09 PM »
What's the name of the Lake ??  It comes down to trials and errors....took me 5-6 chokes and all shot shells manufactured. Good luck to you, patience is a virtue.

« Reply #25 on: April 01, 2014, 10:05:06 PM »

Look down it if the forcing cone is rough , or the bore has tooling marks on it , you might want to look into polishing out your bore - I don't recommend polishing bores to folks cause it's easy to screw it up , if you lived near me I could do it for you in 30 minutes , and trust me it will look like a mirror when I get done with it - the guys at the rhino choke factory taught me how to get a zero micron surface on a bore

Another theory is the barrel is shooting off , if you were shooting at a small piece of paper and the bulk  of the payload went a foot over the paper , this might explain why it shot such low numbers -- I'm not familiar with what's type of sights you have on your single barrel , but normally ..... If your shooting a single front bead on the narrow muzzle and sighting it with the back end  of the wider bore , I can predict a high shooting gun-- only a presumption .....  Shoot at a big piece of paper or cardboard on a windless day , and if your bore is mirror clean , I would be shocked if it shot anything less than 160 - the total payload on that shell is around 400 pellets , they got to be going somewhere

The bore is really smooth. How often should it be polished? I had it polished last year and the forcing cone lengthened from what I understand is a pretty reliable company. Ballistic Specialties. Used to be Gobbler Guns in Batesville, AR. I've never got it to shoot near as good as the guns on here. Granted they're different brands but I mean crap it should shoot a lot better than it does. The gun has a red dot on it. I shot a 4x4 piece of cardboard. It shot about 6-8" left but still that was the most dense part of the pattern. I've got a jellyhead and a comp-n-choke that I didn't shoot them out of. I know you're not supposed to shoot them out of a comp-n-choke cuz they are htl. Where are you located Old Gobbler?

Offline Old Gobbler

• Administrator
  • Long Spur Gobbler
Re: Im somewhat confuzzed...p
« Reply #26 on: April 01, 2014, 11:18:19 PM »

The bore is really smooth. How often should it be polished? I had it polished last year and the forcing cone lengthened from what I understand is a pretty reliable company. Ballistic Specialties. Used to be Gobbler Guns in Batesville, AR. I've never got it to shoot near as good as the guns on here. Granted they're different brands but I mean crap it should shoot a lot better than it does. The gun has a red dot on it. I shot a 4x4 piece of cardboard. It shot about 6-8" left but still that was the most dense part of the pattern. I've got a jellyhead and a comp-n-choke that I didn't shoot them out of. I know you're not supposed to shoot them out of a comp-n-choke cuz they are htl. Where are you located Old Gobbler?
I'm in south Florida

I'm not a big advocate of forcing cone lengthening -- I know some folks swear by it , but usually those are the same folks that charge you$$ to do it -- some folks say it can take a poor shooting barrel and bring it back to life -- forcing cone work started to take a backseat about 10 years ago when htl shot material became popular -- also once you get that cone lengthened , it is irreversible ....

( not recommended!and not for a novice ) my process involves 600 grit wet sand and wd40 , that's what rhino uses to polish out their chokes at the factory -- but it removes tooling marks real quick , too quickly if your not to careful , followed up with steel wool  -- if you have gas ports in the barrel , you need to be careful cause it will ring out the bore and ruin the barrel       keep,the drill moving constantly do not ever stop it in one place , it removes metal material quickly , so if you want a uniform bore keep,it moving , make sure the forcing cone is worked over good and plenty , and change the paper out as needed - I have a special rod I polish with it is wrapped with  steel wool and I place the 600 wd over that , then just the steel wool

The barrel needs to be polished once ( done right ) and that's all -- get a can of carb cleaner ( highly flammable - and destroys paint and camo dip jobs ) and spray the bore down and run a bronze brush with a patch until it is clear , then spray it down again....this time shove a wad of clean paper towels down the chamber , and ram it down the whole bore and out the choke with a rod , do this a couple of times .....you now have a ( really clean DRY ) bore -  measure off 40 yards on a windless day , if it doesn't break 160 with that choke and shell - try a few more combos , if it won't do that sell the gun while turkey season is still on and get another gun

With that clean barrel take your 1 shot at 40 yards , don't try any close shots or other ammo , take that one shot with the fed #7'and the kicks and that should be all you need --

Remember ....no oil in the bore .....dry ......
« Last Edit: April 02, 2014, 07:01:08 AM by Old Gobbler »

-Shannon

Offline presdme

« Reply #27 on: April 02, 2014, 07:23:51 PM »
My h&r with a kicks 690 was not what i was looking for so i sent it back for a 680 and now it shoots 170s in a 10 inch at 40 yards consistently with Winchester supreme #6. Only problem is they discontinued the shell, only got 5 left. I do have some rem hevi#6 that I plan on trying out of the 680. When I do I will post with numbers. Good luck.

Offline mspaci

• The Boss Gobbler
« Reply #28 on: May 06, 2014, 10:04:00 PM »
My h&r gets 315-330 with the Nitros H210, & 250-260 with Mag Blends. With Jelly head choke.  The Fed HW 6`s with kicks 690 its at 200.  With 8-10 in head each shot, all good. Deep cleaned is all,  Mike