OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Im somewhat confuzzed...

Started by mathews bowhunter, March 28, 2014, 01:24:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mathews bowhunter

Well got my kicks GT690 and got a box of federal hw 6s. Shot it today and honestly want to throw everything in the bottom of a lake. How do u guys get these awesome patterns at 40? Mine didn't even put 100 in a 10" circle. Good thing I got my 870 to fall back on.

VAarrowslinger

What gun? Unless you choke it real tight , use a non ported choke

Punisher

I shot some Federal HW #7s through my Kick's .690 and wasn't very impressed either.

steveo

Hmm,   hard to say,many variables to contend with? ??? not all guns like all shells like all chokes, trial and error but ya hate to spend cash to find out it doesn't work! :angry9: .

Rockhound

First gun I've heard that didn't like that combo

mathews bowhunter

All I've read on this site is kicks GT690 and federal heavyweight are the ultimate combo. I tried it in a Hastings 690 which should have done fairly well I would have thought if a Hastings 685 would put up 200+. I'm rather pissed I bought a new choke and 30 bucks worth of shells for this. I know it's part of it but less than 100 in the 10 at 40? Well I look forward to hoping Winchester makes longbeard xr in a 10 next year.

memert116

I bought a Kicks choke and just could not get a decent pattern out of it so went back to the factory full choke.  Trying a SumToy choke now.

Rockhound

Sorry for your luck dude, I've tried it in5 or 6 guns and always put up around 200+

What gun are you shooting?

Rockhound

And are you shooting at a big piece of paper to see where the densest part of your pattern is?

mathews bowhunter

Yeah but even doing that the densest part still don't hold 100 pellets. Mid 90s. It's pathetic.

mathews bowhunter

Quote from: Rockhound on March 28, 2014, 06:48:36 PM
Sorry for your luck dude, I've tried it in5 or 6 guns and always put up around 200+

What gun are you shooting?

New England single barrel 24"

Punisher

When I shot mine yesterday with the Kicks .690 I got 166/10".  That is definitely not bad, but I get close to that with my Rem. 870 20 ga. using the Fed. HW #7s.

I hate turkeys

Have you deep cleaned the barrel ? It will help some.
"There is no such thing as to much gun"
Elmier Keith

mathews bowhunter

I'd be happy with 166 right now. I mean that would be super impressive over mid 90s. And I haven't deep cleaned it but I don't think a deep clean will help me gain the 70-80 pellets I'd be happy with

the Ward

I don't know if this will help, but I patterned my 26" bps last week with the .690 kicks with various loads. I had the same thing, appx 80 or less in the 10" at 40, but they were all pb loads in 4s and 5s. Now the best I got that day was 146 in the 10" with some old rem hd 6s. Temps were colder than forecasted, in the mid 40s, which I think had a lot to do with the low counts. When I went to clean it, the barrel was really filthy, which surprised me since I had given it a decent cleaning after waterfowl season went out. It had looked clean but really wasn't. Plus I had a poi/poa problem.      I have deep cleaned the barrel and was amazed at the gunk that kept coming out. So now I'm waiting for some better temps to try again. Might be what's happening to you, or maybe just a bad lot of ammo. Hope you get it working the way you want.