Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Turkey Wars 2014

Started by mfd1027, March 26, 2014, 10:02:51 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

mfd1027

Had a little trouble enroute to Georgia this year but finally made it up on Mon.   Had to do a little guiding the last couple of days but can finally go solo tomorrow.    We will be here at least a wk. so hopefully I can get something done.   I tried to roost one tonight but didn't have any luck so I'll be standing in my favorite listening spot in the morning.   It's been a while since I've gotten to be the shooter.  I'm pretty excited. 

Shane.   Have you gone?   Gobbling has been a little slow over here and then of course we had those hurricane conditions move in yesterday.   

Dustin.   Are you going out for "youth" wk. end?   

Dan

nctrkyhntr

harvester

Yes we did. It was a bust. Did hear one Saturday morning but he had hens and you know how it goes from there. Did gobble but 1 time after he hit the ground. Hopefully things will be better this weekend.

ElkTurkMan

Dan I hunted Saturday and Sunday. On Saturday I played guide we heard 3 birds and went after the closest. We got above him and got set up. It turned out two hens were rooster parellel to where we set up they flew down and went directly to him.  And they were last seen heading down the creek. On Sunday I got to hunt and heard 2 birds. One ran me all over the national forest. I kept trying to get in front of this bird and I ran out of real estate he got on some private ground. I feel that had I had more room I could have killed this bird. I will be back after them tomorrow through Sunday.

mfd1027

Well.   I got my butt kicked this morning.   Dang hens took me to school. 

Good Luck Shane!  and anybody else out there.   
Dan

ElkTurkMan

I had every intention of sneaking off early from work and hunting this afternoon. With the rain I decided to save the day for a nicer day to hunt. I will be after them tomorrow rain or shine. I shot a bird on the national forest exactly one year ago tomorrow. Perhaps lightning will strike again.

theghost_03

I have a little more over a week to wait before I head out to SD so good luck boys get out there and wreck some necks!
"In the spring we STRUT, and in the fall we RUT"
GOBBLER DOWN CUSTOM CALLS

mfd1027

Didn't hear a peep all day today.   Kind of shocked me because it wasn't too bad of a morning.  It started raining at around 10 and kept it up the rest of the day so I took the rest of the day off.   

Hope you have some luck Shane.   

Good luck tomorrow Dustin.   I know that Tenn. opens. 

Hopefully the rain will hold off and we'll all have a good morning.   

Do we have anybody else hunting?   

Dan

Moore

its just you shane jon p. and I think jon c isgetting after them as well
[

ElkTurkMan

Slow day to say the least. It rained on and off and when it finally stopped raining it got windy. I planned to hunt until fly up but,I was tired of being wet and we have a lot of season left so I called it a day. Tomorrow weather wise it should be ideal. I will be out there bright and early.  I hope everyone else faired better today.

mfd1027

lol.   I think I've got you topped Shane. 

When I got to the lease I kept telling myself.  "Park at the Church and walk".   Nooo, I have to try the roads.   Well, if you've never driven on Ga. clay you're in for a nice surprise.   I made it about 200 yds. and went sideways and then try as I might i just slid into the ditch.   only took 4 hrs. to get out.   Man, we're we a mess.   It was nasty this afternoon so I stayed in camp and took a nap.   I hope you're right about the weather tomorrow Shane.   I know it looks great Mon-Th.   

Good luck tomorrow to everybody.   Maybe we'll get one.   
Dan

ElkTurkMan

Dan I got stuck good like that back in December. I had to walk to the main highway to get cell service and call a buddy to come pull me out. I still haven't lived that one down lol. As far as today goes I didn't hear a peep. The rain is gone but it's awfully windy. I didn't hear a peep. I will be back after them Friday afternoon.

mfd1027

Same here Shane.   Nothing!   The wind was and still is howling but it's supposed to calm down by morning.  One other guy on the lease shot two yesterday afternoon so they're here.   He did the right thing and waited em out in a food plot just clucking and purring every once in a while.  Man, I wish I had the patience to do that but I just don't.   I'm probably my own worst enemy because I call too much, too loud and too often.   I swear I had more patience when I was younger.  I think it's supposed to be the opposite. lol   
Dan

harvester

Good 2 year old down and a bonus coyote. Details will be later.
19+ lbs
3/4" spurs
9 5/8 beard
Good start to the year.

ElkTurkMan

Atta boy Dustin! Congrats