turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Devotion Tuesday, March 15, 2011

Started by Duke0002, March 14, 2011, 11:24:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Duke0002

"For I have learned in whatever situation I am to be content" (Philippians 4:11).

Have you ever seen a hearse pulling a U-Haul?  We chuckle at that image, and yet often we live as though acquiring possessions is the most urgent priority in our lives.  The more we get, the more we think we need.  But after a while these things don't satisfy. 

The deceit of riches, Jesus talks about, is that the happiness derived from accumulating things is always one step ahead of us.  Nothing wrong with having nice possessions, but if they usurp our relationship with God then they become idols. None of our "toys" will go with us to the grave.  They may find their way to a U-Haul trailer, but they'll be in the possession of someone else.

God richly supplies us with our daily needs.  This doesn't mean that He wants us to live in desperate poverty.  Rather, we shouldn't love our "toys" and hobbies so much that they become the central focus of our lives.  The love of money and things above God is idolatry, not the mere possession of them.

As God shows us that our daily food, drink, work, money, and possessions are His gifts to us to use in service to our neighbor, God also keeps us occupied and happy in these gifts.

The Lord supplies us with other riches as well.  Through the Holy Ghost, He gives us "love, joy, peace, patience, kindness, goodness faithfulness, gentleness, self-control" (Galatians 5:22-23).   Through Jesus, He bestows the gift of faith and freely grants us forgiveness, righteousness, and eternal life.  These are the true riches that satisfy the human soul!

-Dale

BOFF

Thanks Dale,

I tend to want to do things like work, hobbies, projects, goals, 110%, which isn't always bad, but has at times gotten to be idols As turkey season starts here tomorrow, it is a good reminder for me to keep my eyes, ears, and heart, focused on Jesus.

God Bless,
David B.

Roostem33

Great lesson Dale, I know that that can be a problem with me at times. So thanks for the reminder!

Have a great day,
Jody
The thief cometh not, but for to steal, and to kill, and to destroy: I am come that they might have life, and that they might have it more abundantly.(John 10:10)

mmims

Thanks Dale, As I have always preached "when it comes to worldly posessions Less Is More"

Mike

latimer shedhead

PANYHunter

Thanks.  This really hits home.   :bible:

turkey slayer