OldGobbler

OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

Cold feet about putting a scope on my turkey gun.

Started by bowmike, March 25, 2014, 10:24:16 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

deadbuck

I guess I will be the first one to crawl out. I had successful Lasik surgery done 7 years ago and I still feel the need to use a scope. I tried it this year and have killed multiple birds with it. I too was skeptical until I tried it.

d.winsor

I have had scopes on my turkey guns since 1992 and have never had a problem, just get you a good one and it won't fog, etc.  I have since went to the fastfire 3, I don't have to worry about bad shooting positions or scope eye.  With a fastfire 3 your turkey gun can be used for squirrel, rabbits, quail, etc.  I really like it.  Just slip you a modified choke in your gun and use 2 3/4" shells.

Longshanks

Tight patterns with Win LB XR's and HTL have motivated me to put my red dot scopes, Tasco Propoint and Busnell Trophy, back on a couple of my guns. Being able to see the whole turkey makes pattern placement ,8"-10" patterns, much easier. My turkey guns all shoot that size of pattern when the turkey gets in close and some retain that size pattern out to 30-35yds. Just makes sense to have a red dot to make aiming small easy. Magnification I wouldn't care for and I don't believe it's legal where I hunt.

Snoodsniper

I'd skip the scope and go with the ff iii as some have already suggested. Its perfect for turkey guns. JMO

d.winsor

For sighting in a scope or fastfire 3 set a target at 12 yards with a 1" square in the center.  Using 2 3/4" shells shoot and adjust until you can shoot out the 1" square.  Put a 36" x 36" target with a 1" square in the center at 40 yards.  Using your turkey loads shoot and adjust until you have the dense part of your pattern over the 1" square.  Use a new target for every shot.  It shouldn't take you more than 3 to 4 shots using your turkey loads to center your pattern.  Good Luck.

Longshanks

Quote from: d.winsor on May 01, 2014, 05:15:36 AM
For sighting in a scope or fastfire 3 set a target at 12 yards with a 1" square in the center.  Using 2 3/4" shells shoot and adjust until you can shoot out the 1" square.  Put a 36" x 36" target with a 1" square in the center at 40 yards.  Using your turkey loads shoot and adjust until you have the dense part of your pattern over the 1" square.  Use a new target for every shot.  It shouldn't take you more than 3 to 4 shots using your turkey loads to center your pattern.  Good Luck.

Good info, it's been since the early 90's since I have had one on my gun. Patterns have gotten increasingly tighter and eyes haven't improved :) Will use this to sight in.

WyoHunter

I have scopes on both my turkey guns and really like them. I went to a scope because I found it more effective for me. Most of us use scopes for big game hunting so we're comfortable with using them.
If I had a dollar for every gobbler I thought I fooled I'd be well off!

Spurcollecta

There's pros and cons to everything but having said that, I own a scope and a fastfire3 and I prefer the scope over the ff3. I enjoy shooting the ff3 and think its great but I trust my scope a bit more and I like being able to use the magnification on my scope to check out birds that're farther than I can see with the naked eye. I usually don't carry bino's because I like to pack light. In the ten plus years I've been using a scope I've never had a malfunction nor have I had problems finding a moving target and I don't have to worry about batteries failing me. I hunt everyday of season and our season last a month and a half so my gun isn't babied at all

DirtNap647

Sako358

Go for it!  Get a good quality low power scope 1x5 or 2x7 and good rings and bases.  I epoxy all my bases (picatinny) to the top of the receiver. 
I agree with Ray Eye in his new book.  Red dots under 40 yds and scopes at 40 + ranges in open Fields and Clear cuts. 
If I had to pick only one, I would go with my scoped gun. 

:newmascot:
Run & Gun: Benelli SBE 2, Trijicon RMR, IC .710, Hevi 13 #5 Zero 30 yds
Blind Gun:  Benelli SBE 2, Leupold 1.5x5 Circle Dot, Trulock .665, Federal HW #5 Zero 40 yds
Field Gun: Benelli Super Nova, Leupold 6x42, Harris Bipod, IC .670, Federal HW #5 Zero 50 yds

art338wm

I am in agreement that based on your statements you don't sound as if scopeing your gun will be a net gain for you. More likely it sounds like to scope your gun is a solution in search of a problem. For myself personally scoping my gun has become a must try as my eyesight has changed and I now have a bad enough stigmatism that I'm having great difficulty using my excellent fiber optic iron sites. This season I had a hard time aiming without the Toms head blering out. So for me a scope has become a viable option. Can't kill them if you can't see them.

sixbird

Just started using a FF III this year and REALLY like it...Where you put that dot...That's where that shot is going to end up. They're simple, light and, so far, reliable. Batteries last about forever according to the literature. They're great for aging eyes and the newer tight shooting ammo...I wouldn't hesitate to buy one...

Beak

You asked for one good reason. Ageing eyes is the best one I could come up with

deadbuck

Well,I liked having a scope so much I decided to spend $400 and get an Aimpoint 9000sc as a permanent sight. Had a chance to try it on a Tom a few days ago and it worked like a charm! I also got the screw on anti glare device and it works great.

Greg Massey

Love my nikon turkey pro scope. Its mounted on a B square saddle mount were I cant still use my iron beads.