OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Remington 1100 mag shurshot question

Started by jeubank3, August 02, 2017, 10:49:35 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

jeubank3

So, I'm about done "rehabilitating" my dad's old Remington 12ga 1100 mag (3" chamber) for turkey hunting.  It's a 1963 model, 1st year of production.  I know for what I'm putting in it, it may not ever end up being a true killer, but I just have an itch to kill at least one bird with my dad's gun now that he's passed.  I can always take it to the clays range if it doesn't work out. 

After considerable searching online and at local clubs/shops, I found a 26" remchoke "steel shot" barrel that will take the 3" shells.  That was a task.  I've got a sight set for it as well that I've yet to install. 

My current issue arises out of the Shurshot stock I picked up for it on clearance from Remington.  When I tried to switch out the old stock this evening, it wouldn't fit, even though the box promises it fits "all" 1100s.  I've read posts on a couple other boards that the Shurshot must be modified a bit to fit an 1100.  Problem is, I can't find any info on what modification would be required. 

No pics, but apparently, the forend dimesions are about 1/4" different from the standard 1100 forend.  There is more material at the front between the tip of the forend and where the gas block seats on the inside.  This causes the forened not to slide down as far, and ends up making the threading on the shell tube flush with the forened, instead of sticking out a bit to accept the magazine cap.  Only way I can figure that it can be modified would be to cut a bit off the front of the forend, or to dremel out a bit of material on the inside of the forend where the gas block contacts it.  I'm no gunsmith, so I don't want to go cutting into parts without precisely knowing what I need to achieve to get the desired results, and whether it will still be structurally sound when I'm done. 

Anyone ever encountered this, or know someone who has, and know how to modify this forend?

Thanks!

jeubank3

One more related issue: has anyone put a newer stock on an older 1100 and know what to do regarding the magazine caps?  The older style caps have a ball detent in the cap, and a metal ring on the front of the forend for it to click in.  The new stock has no such ring, and no real retention system at all that I see...just bare plastic. 

jeubank3

:z-guntootsmiley:  I guess I'm talking to myself, like the crazy guy in the corner of the bar, but I got it figured out. For anyoe else who wants to add that shurshot to their 1100, it was pretty easy to do once i looked ot over enough

There are 6 little stepped tabs just behind the enclosed portion of the forend. Dremeled those down flush with the inside channel, and it fit like a glove.  No wobble at all.  Now time to hit up William at Sumtoy up and get a choke.

Next task will be having the receiver tapped on my 20ga m2 to put a vortex venom on it. That, I will most certainly not do myself.

surehuntsalot

I have my grandfather's 1100 3" magnum, it has a 30" fixed full choke barrel on it, it is a turkey killer with old lead shot.
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

jeubank3

I tested mine before looking for a new barrel. That mod fixed choke was no bueno.