turkeys for tomorrow

News:

only use regular PayPal to provide purchase protection

Main Menu

Trough Call Tutorial

Started by MtntopBarry, March 20, 2014, 01:36:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

MtntopBarry

I have been wanting to try my hand at a Trough call and was wondering if anyone knew where I could find a tutorial on making them? I have searched quite a lot of sites and can't find one. Thanks.

Scrat

Yes I would like to see a little information on the trough calls myself. I have looked a lot for information on trough calls and they are hardly no information about how to make them let along how to tune one. I have tried my hand at making a few and it is a hit and miss deal getting a good sound out of them. Sure wish those that are in the know will make a trough call tutorial or whatever information you can give us. Sure would like to know why they are not more trough calls made. A good sounding trough call early in the morning is deadly on an old gobbler. Thanks in advance for any help with trough calls.

mastevt

Trough calls are really pretty easy to make.  All you need is a router table with a fence, and the appropriate bit.  They are made by preparing 2 halves, then gluing them together.  I can tell you the trough where the slate sits, that section should be around 1/8 in or so, but you don't have to router a channel thru it.  It can be solid wood where the slate is glued.  I've tried it both ways and found no real difference in sound.  I can also tell ya, to use the hardest wood possible.  Soft woods seem to kill the sound.  Made one out of cedar, and it absolutely sounded terrible.  You can play with different size cavities, and it will change the sound a bit.  They do take more time to make, but are simple in design.  Time is used up in gluing.  I glue mine all up first, lay down a strip of masking tape on the slate, hang it on a coat hanger, and shoot it with finish.  Any questions, ask away, Ill answer them if I can.  If you want to hear one, I got a sound file on my phone, just text me, I'll send you it.  816-572-1927.  Good luck,  Scott.

Scrat

Thanks for the information Scott. I have made several out of poplar and cedar they just didn't get that sound I was looking for. I will try some hardwoods like red oak and walnut some cherry also and see how they sound. Is there a sound or pitch reason that you left the small 1/4" wood in the middle of the bottom under the slate or is this just your call design. I used a table saw setup with DADO blades to cut out mine. Also is the outside thickness 1/4" or 3/16" or does this make a big difference that you leave in your call designs. Hope you are having a good turkey hunting season. Don (AKA Scrat)

Maintenancetech

I would also like to know more about making these calls look interesting and different.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Maintenancetech

What is your overall thickness of the call 1"?

mastevt

Quote from: Scrat on April 10, 2017, 07:25:24 PM
Thanks for the information Scott. I have made several out of poplar and cedar they just didn't get that sound I was looking for. I will try some hardwoods like red oak and walnut some cherry also and see how they sound. Is there a sound or pitch reason that you left the small 1/4" wood in the middle of the bottom under the slate or is this just your call design. I used a table saw setup with DADO blades to cut out mine. Also is the outside thickness 1/4" or 3/16" or does this make a big difference that you leave in your call designs. Hope you are having a good turkey hunting season. Don (AKA Scrat)

The 1/4 in left in the middle of the bottom is my pedestal.  I use a glass sound board in my call.  Others donnot.   I like the sound a whole lot better with it.  I'll bet the DADO blade method works well.  Probably  a lot faster than mine.  I just like the router better, since I have an Incra lift set up, and can raise and lower my router by as little as .002 or as much as I like.
    As for the overall, it measures 2 1/2 by 4.  Leaving enough on the edges to glue them together
is all your after.  I try and keep it a hair under 1/4.  I add an inlay along the edge to cover up the glue seam.

MickT

Where do you get your slate? Cut it yourself with a tile saw or?

Maintenancetech

Looks like brookside game calls sales it in .75 x 4 inch