OG Gear Store
Sum Toy
Dave Smith
Wood Haven
North Mountain Gear
North Mountain Gear
turkeys for tomorrow

News:

registration is free , easy and welcomed !!!

Main Menu

Has anybody tried TRULOCK Special FEDHW #7 choke?

Started by archdriver, March 18, 2014, 04:01:08 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

SKFOOTER

I purchased a Trulock Hvywght. 7 choke from George at the convention this past weekend for my Winchester SX3 20 gauge w/24" Cantilever barrel.  It is a .570 constriction and I can't wait to pattern the Fed Hvywght. 7's thru it once it warms up. 

wvboy

Quote from: BowBendr on March 19, 2014, 03:00:43 AM
I shoot the trulock and I love it. It's gaining popularity in the 12 gauge but guys don't seem to be shooting it in the 20 on here much. It is .560 and it is a hoss. Very pleased with mine and glad I bought it.

Same here.. Trulock and Fed 7s ... deadly out to 45 yds.. I killed a big tom stone dead at 43 yds last year with my son's youth 20 ..
RB .. Take me Home Country Roads

gaboy

I bought one too a couple weeks ago. As luck would have it, weather hasn't cooperated for a testing session. Will be interesting to see how it compare to the Suntoy 562-5 I've been using for several years.

g8rvet

Looking at one sitting on my desk right now and will hopefully pattern it this weekend. I will post up when I do.
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

pabirdsmasher

Have one in my Mossberg super bantam and it is outstanding to say the least.   :z-winnersmiley:

surehuntsalot

Quote from: lakeplainshunter on March 18, 2014, 06:08:36 PM
Mine will be delivered tomorrow.  I also have the Carlson .575" to try.

you are going to love that Carlson choke with those 7's
it's not the harvest,it's the chase

gaboy

Got to pattern the Trulock Fed Hwt #7 choke this weekend. In the TurkeySlayer it did fine, 125ish,  but not as good as the SunToy, 140s. I'd hunt with it if I didn't already have the SumToy. YMMV as I've found both my M37 20s won't post high number like other 20s.

goblr77

Quote from: gaboy on February 23, 2015, 10:19:51 AM
Got to pattern the Trulock Fed Hwt #7 choke this weekend. In the TurkeySlayer it did fine, 125ish,  but not as good as the SunToy, 140s. I'd hunt with it if I didn't already have the SumToy. YMMV as I've found both my M37 20s won't post high number like other 20s.

I have two 870 youth 20s and neither post high numbers like everyone else on this site is getting. Both average mid 140s with Sumtoy and Truglo SSX chokes. Personally, I don't want a 170-180 10" pattern out of a 20. That leaves very little wiggle room.

g8rvet

I bought a Trulock because they are just a couple of towns from me and Mr George did right with me for a problem I had with some duck hunting chokes.  Trulock or Sumtoy are the way to go.  I got very even 160s pattern at 40 in the Trulock in both my youth 870 and my SA-459.  The patterns are on the 20 patterning board. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Psalms 118v24: This is the day which the Lord hath made; we will rejoice and be glad in it.

Row Jimmy

I just finished patterning the Fed Hvywt 7 in my M2, 26" barrel.  Tried a couple Trulock Chokes.

Trulock Heavyweight Choke (.565):
164 pellets ave. in 10" @ 40 yds
220 pellets ave in 10" @ 30 yds
260 + in 10" @ 20 yds.

Trulock .570 Choke:
139 Ave in 10" @ 40 yds
222 ave in 10" @30 yds
250 ish in 10" @ 20 yds.

Both are good at 40, worried they are too tight in close.  Not sure which one I will keep.

g8rvet

About what I am getting. I will shoot at a turkey target tomorrow at 20 steps and see how it looks.  I said I was done shooting, but I will try one more.  I let one get about 20 yards away last year instead of shooting him at 6 steps.  Just figured it was a safer shot (with my 12). 

01Foreman400

My Trulock put up 150's with Fed. HW's.  Does a little better with TSS. 

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Huntin Fool From Georgia!

g8rvet

You got me wondering, so I shot at a turkey target at 15 yards as I have killed a few at that range. 
The hole in my target is exactly where I was aiming. I think there is easily an acceptable left/right spread

J-Shaped

Quote from: goblr77 on February 26, 2015, 03:59:32 PM
Quote from: gaboy on February 23, 2015, 10:19:51 AM

I have two 870 youth 20s and neither post high numbers like everyone else on this site is getting. Both average mid 140s with Sumtoy and Truglo SSX chokes. Personally, I don't want a 170-180 10" pattern out of a 20. That leaves very little wiggle room.

Same here with my 870. I finally shot the Trulock this past weekend. Temps were in the upper 50's and it was in the 120's at 40 yds. with the Federals. I've tried a lot of the popular chokes in this gun and the only combo that has delivered high numbers has been the Jellyhead with Nitro Triplex and Straight 7's.

The Rem SF and Primos Tightwad, both popular among many here with the Federals, failed to do this well. What I really liked with the Trulock was the overall pattern aside from the 10" circle. Not a lot of holes and plenty of margin for error. The other chokes did not seem to perform like this. I'm sure if I shot it in warmer temps it would print higher numbers, but I'm not concerned. It will work well for it's intended purpose and in reality shoots better than most guns I was killing turkeys with 20 years ago ;D

savduck

Did an internet search for trulock 570 and this post came up so Im pushing it to the top. I picked up the old 560 Heavyweight choke and the new tss choke, also 560 used for a great deal. My 870 combo is a bear to pattern with fed 7s. Have shot about 10 chokes through it and the most I can get is around 120. Both of thes chokes lit it up in my 870. One shot 175 and the other shot 176 back to back shots with#7s

I also figured out this 870 does not like to be chemically cleaned between shots. Just a bore snake clean.

Gonna call and see if they will make me a 570. Want to try one for Federal #6s. Im still sitting on a stock pile of heavyweights.
Georgia Boy